How much data does iCloud actually transfer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sviato, Apr 17, 2012.

1. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I don't usually have Wifi where I normally charge my phone so I use 3G unrestrictor as I have a 6gb data plan which serves all my data needs. Anyways, I enabled iCloud backup the other day and started a backup but canceled it almost instantly.

I have about 11.3gb of stuff on my phone and thought that a transfer would likely eat a lot of data if all of that was to get transfered into the cloud.

So how big are backups usually? I'm assuming iCloud compresses backups as there's only 5GB of storage unless you buy more.

Also how much data would it take to create a backup?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It backs up the data in the apps, but not the apps themselves. (Those get re-downloaded from the store.)

It backs up your music playlists, but not the actual music or video files. (It gets those back from syncing with your computer.)

It backs up your camera roll, but not photos you've synced from your computer or your photostream.

And so on and so forth. It only backs up the stuff that can't be gotten anywhere else.

So it's impossible to say, but I have 45 GB of stuff on my phone and my iCloud backup is only 3.3 GB. You'll probably find your phone will be somewhat similar to that.

3. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

If you go to the icloud settings app it should say icloud backup size ex.1.1Gb next size 1.5 GB so the next backup would only send .4 GB its a delta backup per say it doesnt fully back up all data everytime

4. sviato thread starter macrumors 68020

sviato