How Much Data Does Your iPhone Say You've Used?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Just curious as to how much data your iPhone says you've used so far. Mine seems a little high seeing as how we've only had the phone for 1 day. It's at 2GB already and that's using safari, FB, pandora and some FaceTime. I know FaceTime tends to use a lot but when I had the iPhone 4 and used FT over 3G it still didn't use THAT much. How about everyone else?

2. pauliphone macrumors regular

Mine says 250mb in one day! Which considering I've been on wifi 90% of the time seems rather high.
    I used to use about 1.5gb a month on my 4S.

Only thing I can think is that the 5 is counting wifi as cellular data?

3. black743 macrumors 6502

Mine shows way more than what Verizon shows me using. Yesterday my phone was showing over 200mb, while Verizon had me at only 37mb. Also, today it showed up with another box below "cellular usage" listed as "tethered usage" and has been running data up on that even though I have no hotspot setup and Verizon shows nothing of the sort....clearly a bug.

4. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

You will be surprised. LTE chews through data. That's why the shared data is a huge no go for me. When i had. My Galaxy nexus and moto raze I was using 6-10 gb per month using the phone the same way i use my 4s and only use 1-2 gb per month.

5. wellok macrumors 6502

Verizon shows me using 51 MB and my phone shows 78 MB. It's been on wifi almost exclusively.

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I wish we could get these data threads together. I am having this issue and I have read about 7-8 high data usage threads but because the forums are so busy, they fall off into the forums before more people get to comment.

There seems to be some issues with some people. Would like to know if it is a setting, a bug or otherwise.

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

84 MB so far. Only cellular data so far is a little web browsing, some Pandora and Rdio on the car and a little bit of maps.

8. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I think there's a bug in IOS.

iPhone says I've used more than 500MB

Verizon says I've used 376 MB

And that's just day 1, I've been using wifi last night since then because it takes Verizon a day to update the usage.

9. black743 macrumors 6502

Apple logged all this as an issue and are looking into it.

My cellular data actually jumped 4mb from watching a youtube video while on wifi. Of course, my verizon account shows none of this activity.

It looks like it's just counting whatever it wants and is way way off, and now even a tethering count is going crazy.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

200mb so far.
    I been doing a bunch of speed tests on lte:)

11. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

237 mb/s...*looks at VZW data cap, apologizes to rest of family on shared plan*

12. black743 macrumors 6502

Before you panic, have you looked at your Verizon account? My phone said I used 200+mb yesterday, Verizon showed 39mb....big difference.

Someone just posted that their usage is now showing on their phone as 8TB...that's Terabytes...lol and under tethering no less with hotspot turned off.

13. jmo1116 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok just checked Verizon account. It says 750MB which makes way more sense. I knew it couldn't be 2GB.

14. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

How long does it take for the data usage to show up on Verizon site?

15. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

A day, any data you used on your phone yesterday should be up, but data you have used today most likely will not be.

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

17. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

almost 2 days now and i was surprised - thank god I have unlimited on VZW

sent:204
    rev'd: 825

18. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

There has to be a bug an iOS 6. I just ran a test with 2 4s phones. Mine is on iOS 6 and my wife's is on iOS 5. I reset the usage and ran a single YouTube video via wifi. My phone showed 1kb Downloaded while my wife's showed 0 kb. If you extrapolate that glitch over a full day of using the phone that adds up. Seems like Apple has a QA issue.

19. Europa13 macrumors 6502

I hope this is a bug. I've been with AT&T for four years and never exceeded 1.2 GB in a month. I averaged 300 MB. I just switched to Verizon for the LTE coverage. I've had the phone for exactly 24 hours and it's showing 137 MB sent and 635 MB received in the Settings app and 361 MB via the #data text. If this is accurate I've used as much in one day as I usually use in one month.

Does anyone know if LTE actually uses more data? Is the data used to load one web page on LTE the same as it is on 3G? With LTE you're surfing faster and can load more pages and view more content, but it seems like that should be the only difference.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

go on verizon online and check your data use there. My phone alone says 68 sent and 107 rec'd (Mb) but verizon online shows a combined of 105 Mb used. So I know my phone stat is high.

It did get me looking at individual data use and I saw that yesterday, at 4:30pm, my wife's phone supposedly used 37Mb (says verizon's website). All we were doing around that time was setting her phone up (my old 4s). We were definately at my house and definately on wifi.

21. MrSpanks macrumors member

22. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

23. Europa13 macrumors 6502

I've done lots of speed tests on the speedtest.net app since I got my phone yesterday and I just noticed something. Each time I run a speedtest on LTE my data usage increases by 10 MB! Wow, gotta ease up on the speedtests! I had no idea it was using so much data.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It has to download a big data file in order to test the upload and download speed.

25. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong