How much data for 20 min. of face time ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jigsb007, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Hello All.

i am a sprint customer ( still under 14 days ) and we have LTE at my home and i guess withine 6-7 miles radius of my home too... everything looks good here... i am getting around 12-15mbps down and 5-8 mbps up average.. we can do facetime on data ....

today i was at sams clud and willing to do facetime to show things to my wife, but it wasnt that gr8, as inside there was no LTE. we did facetiem, but it was like doing chat on Dialup....
    so, i was thinking to move on Verizon, it seems like they have Strong LTE network ( We dont do Face time that much, but if you have a facility, why not to use it )

So, my question to you guys, how much data does it need to do face time average 20 min. every day... as if i go varizon i might go 8gb shared data plan..

Thnkas,,,:confused:

2. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

I recently had a 20 min FaceTime session and I think it was around 280 mb

3. pgiguere1, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Anandtech says FaceTime takes 100-150 kbps both ways, so 20 min would be 30-45 MB.

Here's a nice article for you: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57450599-94/will-apples-facetime-app-hog-your-data-plan/

In short, FaceTime is designed to not take a lot of bandwidth since it is often bottlenecked by the upload speed of home Wi-Fis which is often around 1Mbps (125 kB/s).

EDIT: Anandtech says "100-150 Kbps" which is capitalized wrong so I don't know if he means kbps or kB/s. If it's the latter then a 20 min call would be 240-360 MB which is much more. I doubt it though given that that would mean a higher bitrate in both ways than a DivX-compressed DVD, which looks much better than a FaceTime call.

4. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

omg ... which country are you in ? :eek:

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

US upload speeds are horrible.....LTE upload speeds are about 5x faster than the average home speed. I have top tier AT&T home internet and I get about 2.5Mbp/s...pathetic!

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Canada. Look up our home Internet plans... The most popular provider in my province (Videotron) charges $55 for 8Mbps up / 1 Mbps down and it's their most popular plan.

But the CNET article said that, not me.

7. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still its not clear for me..
    i have 2 days to change from sprint untdt to verizon 8gb.
    please help....

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

What province is that? I'm in Manitoba and I use Shaw, and I get some decent speeds here.

I believe Shaw is Canada-wide. So I'd suggest switching. :rolleyes:

9. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Sorry it's not clear for anybody either. If you want to make sure and have a Mac, FaceTime your Mac and look how much bandwidth it uses with a tool like iStat Menus and multiply that by the time of your call.

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I would wait if I were you. Sprint is just getting started and if you already have it, it will probably get better over time. Realistically how many times are you going to be at SAMs Club to do FaceTime? Also how do you know that Verizon is better from inside a place like SAMs Cub?

I have Sprint but we don't even have LTE in our area yet, but I'm not willing to give up unlimited when we are this close to getting it. I just think that people who are jumping ship now are going to regret it in the not too distant future.

11. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Quebec. We don't have Shaw, it seems to only be offered in western provinces (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba). The only two major providers are Videotron and Bell.

12. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Humm.. even i am thinking the same.. and today Softbank bought 70% sprint...

13. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

This might be a bit off the topic, but just want to caution you that Verizon's signal is very sensitive to buildings (at least in my case). I lived in Florida, Arizona and for some reason Verizon was great. But I moved to Maryland several month ago, and Verizon is just bad in general where ever I go. For example, I live in a basement with a huge windows to outside I consistently get two bars. But if I try to make a phone call, 95% of the time I will get a drop call within the first 2 minutes. I ended up having to put my phone right next to the window and use a bluetooth. I know it's the walls because the moment I step out I get five bars and no drop call. I have also experienced the same (in Maryland as well) as soon as I walk into a mall and some restaurants. Just something to keep in mind.

Except where I live, I have visited the mall and the restaurants with my friends who has ATT, and they get 4-5 bars inside buildings.

14. chrisvee macrumors regular

Ah, alright. That sucks.. I suppose Bell has crappy internet too?

15. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yeah they're not really better and from my experience their customer service is much worse.

16. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I feel you guys ... I was in same boat when I was in India ... I got a 1 Mbps line 3 years back and I was YAY !!!! And none of my friends were able to get it till about 2 years back...

Now in Singapore and its a totally different story ... 50Mbps Up + 50 Mbps Down and yes I can actually push all of that :eek: .... when someone asks me if I will think about going back to settle down in India, I cringe for atleast this one reason if not others :D

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Yeah I can't wait until US catches up! I am paying for as high as AT&T offers and its only 23Mb/s down and 2.5Mb/s Up.....really sad.

18. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I guess its just the size of the country and population ...

Singapore runs more like a Company than a Country !

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Nah, its because the telecom industry in the US is a total monopoly. There are 4 companies to choose from (usually only one or two available per area) and they all only compete with pricing. None of them compete with true speed (FIOS comes close...but not even close to other countries)...they all know they can screw you on speed and also charge a premium for it...so why not!! And with upload, they figure most people won't notice how slow it is....I do a lot of remote screen sharing and video streaming...so I notice.

One of these days a company will decide to blow the lid off the speed ceiling and it will force competition. FIOS is such a limited area that its hard for it to even make a dent.

20. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

The more you explain it the more it sounds like India's issues ... he he...

Anyways for the love of god I have not been able to understand the horrendous 3G speeds in SG ... LTE is now awesome, but the 3G ..oh my god!

Broadband Speeds - Good
    Fiber Speeds - Excellent
    LTE - Awesome
    3G - wtf !

21. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys guys....dont change topics,... i need your suggestiuons.. dont compare now US and singapoor..

22. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Sorry ... got a bit carried away :D

23. phillyphill, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

ill test it out for you and get back to you.

I'd die if my upload speeds were that slow. Thankfully I have fios so im sitting at 75dl 20-25 up

24. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

:eek: for as low as US$13/month people can enjoy 100Mbps up and down in Hong Kong

25. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill