How much data should I need for 2 smartphones w/ Verizon LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Newah, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Newah macrumors newbie

My Dad has had a Droid Incredible 2 for quite some time, and I've been stuck with a stupid Samsung Intensity. The first one. :( I'm getting the iPhone 5 soon, and we'll be forced to switch into Verizon's Share Everything crap.

So, my Dad and I will both have smartphones, and I imagine he might upgrade to an iPhone 5 or a Droid Razr HD Maxx when he can. Something to Utilize 4G speeds. Anyways, so right now, he has a 2GB Data plan, which was common before this new share everything. If I join the picture with an iPhone 5, we'll be forced to switch to it. So far, we pay around $170 a month for 1 smartphone and 3 basic phones, and when we switch we're dropping 2 basic phones, and adding 1 smartphone - my iPhone

My main question to all of you, is how much data do you use? I'm thinking that our plan might look like this:

2 Smartphones - $40 + $40 = $80
    1 Basic Phone = $30
    6GB of Data = $80

So total would be $190. At first I was thinking that 4GB might be enough, because I don't think my Dad hits his limit of 2GB, but I know I would use more. So then i'm also thinking that more would be nice. The most Data consuming task I would use is streaming YouTube away from Wifi. I wouldn't DL big apps with 4G, just internet, Facebook, Twitter, uploading pictures, and like I said the occasional YouTube Video. So would another extra $10 for 8GB even be worth it? or is 6GB just fine for the two of us?

How much do you guys use and with/for what?

2. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

Why don't you start small (e.g., 2GB) and change that depending on how much you use?

Verizon is happy to let you switch to a more expensive dataplan later if it turns out you need it.

3. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

Also, think about how much time you spend on WiFi instead of 4G. I spend most of my time on WiFi, so I don't use much 4G.

4. Newah thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, so turns out I figured something out.

Like I said, my dad has a Droid Incredible 2, and Mom, my brother, and I have dumb phones. I found out he has unlimited Data but doesn't use more than 2GB a month. We all have upgrades available except my brother. So it looks like this:

-----We all share 1400 Voice minutes, Unlimited Texting-----
    Dad - Droid Inc 2 w/ Unl. Data (upgradeable)
    Me - Samsung Intensity I (dumbphone, upgradeable)
    Mom - LG Cosmos I (dumbphone, upgradeable)
    Brother - Old LG Flip phone (dumbphone, not upgradeable)

Basically, I want to get an iPhone 5, with Dad's Unlimited Data. Like I said, my Dad wouldn't care, so is there a way I can get the Unlimited Data, and my Dad keeps his phone with 2GB of data?

My brother NEVER uses his phone, so if it involves his phone somehow, its all good.