How much do Best Buy or Apple charge to Upgrade Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HeyGreggie, Jan 19, 2013.

1. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I'm looking to getting a 500GB hard drive installed into my macbook pro 13 inch (non retina), and was curious if I buy my own hard drive, will apple/best buy install it?

Also..how much would they charge me for one of theirs? (installation included)

thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Probably too much, as you can easily install it yourself.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You'll probably be looking at around $100, maybe a bit more, for the installation.

The benefit of having them do it, is that if they damage your system during installation, you get it fixed for free. If you damage your system by doing it yourself (i.e.: you plug the keyboard cable in backwards, and then turn it on and magic smoke starts to appear,) then you will need to pay to get the damage fixed, which will (in most cases) be more expensive than if you had gotten the drive installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

With that said, it's incredibly easy to do the install yourself. If you're comfortable doing so, check ifixit.com for a guide specific to your system, make sure you have the right tools for the job, and don't rush it.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I can't picture Apple installing an HDD that you bought on your own. If the HDD doesn't work...?? who's responsible? If you buy an Apple HDD, then Apple will take care of it. I wouldn't trust BestBuy to do anything with a computer. An apple dealer might do it, but again, if you didn't buy it from them...

5. spartacvs macrumors member

Just do it yourself and save some money. Watch the tutorial videos on YouTube, it's too easy, probably take no more than 30 mins.

6. Binomio macrumors member

Installing a HDD is like changing the oil on your car, you have to know what you are doing but its pretty simple. You can find step by step guides on the internet that make it easy.

7. raymond lin macrumors regular

Just need the right screw drivers, patience and it can be done in 10 mins.

There is not much to go wrong, worst case is you have to put back your old HD.

The most time consuming part is either reinstalling the OS and software/restore or cloning the HD. The physical part of changing the HD is all really easy.

8. braddicted2mac macrumors member

braddicted2mac

I changed mine in my 15 inch macbook pro yesterday very easy !! google ifixit will explain everything !! It can help !!

9. raymond lin macrumors regular

If you are in doubt, there are plenty of video guides on YouTube too. :)

10. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Wow! What an awesome resource!! Thanks for posting this :)

12. trikky macrumors regular

I'm surprised noone was able to tell you when you phoned them. It's disgusting you have to post to an internet forum hoping for quasi-accurate answers when one of their staff could have told you the answers you needed within seconds.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Even if they install it for you, they won't warranty a drive not purchased from them. I'd take the time to learn how to do it yourself without damaging anything. This means watch videos on its installation, ensure you have the correct screwdrivers to avoid stripped screws, ensure you have some way of keeping screws organized as you remove them, and make sure you don't shock any of the internals. Basically touch something metal before you begin and avoid walking around. That's just my opinion anyway. If you pay them to install it, that's basically all you're paying them to do.