How much do you like Hot Dogs?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Takeru Kobayashi won his fifth consecutive hot-dog eating title Monday by downing 49 frankfurters in 12 minutes, leaving 17 competitors in his wake.

But the Nagano, Japan, eating champion fell short of his personal best set last year -- a record 53.5 hot dogs and buns.

"I'm very sad," Kobayashi, 27, said through an interpreter. "I came here to beat it. Maybe next year I will."
Do you like them enough to eat more than 49 Hot Dogs? :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/04/hotdog.contest/index.html

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I watched this live the other day. I though I was going to puke. It really was discussing. He broke them in half, soaked them in his drink, and practically swallowed them whole. :eek:

Sonya the Black-widow was only about 100 pounds and she ate 37.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I love me some hot dogs...not that many though. And they have to be GOOD hot dogs...Nathan's or something like that. With spicy mustard. And sauerkraut...it's not a hot dog without sauerkraut.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
grapes911 said:
Well you're in luck. Nathan's has been the sponsor of this hot dog eating contest for a long time. Yum, Yum!!
link
I could eat three in one sitting if I was REALLY hungry. 49...that's insane.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
that's so nasty... i've eaten one hot dog in the past half decade, I was so hungry I thought I'd die, and it was the only thing in the house. there wasn't enough ketchup to drown the taste of rendering, but after a long battle, i managed to keep it down. but it won't happen again. i'd rather eat scraps off the floor... because then at least i know they're from my floor, instead of a slaughterhouse floor :)

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
I watched the contest on ESPN yesterday(?)...also watched it last year so maybe it's becoming a tradition :rolleyes:

What I was thinking as I flipped between the hot dog eating championship and the world Scrabble championship (on ESPN2) is what the sports commentators think when they get assignments like these...it AMAZED me that they could keep a straight face while talking about the different hot dog eating "techniques" and the skills each competitor brought to the contest. "The big story of today is rookie Joey Chestnut, who gave an impressive performance and came in third place after eating 32 hot dogs"...also, this year featured the "helmet cam" debut where one of the competitors wore a hat with a camera and mirror on it so the viewers could get an eaters-eye view of the contest. Thank you, ESPN!! :D

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Toppa G's said:
I watched the contest on ESPN yesterday(?)...also watched it last year so maybe it's becoming a tradition :rolleyes:
Tradition? It said this was his fifth consecutive title. Sounds like it already became a tradition. And for further knowledge its been going on since 1916 at Coney Island on the 4th of July.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If I tried to eat that many hotdogs in 12 minutes, you'd be able to enter me in the projectile vomiting contest that follows.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I haven't had a hot dog in years. Never really like the taste anyway. Now that I realize the health issues, happy that I've stopped.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
grapes911 said:
Tradition? It said this was his fifth consecutive title. Sounds like it already became a tradition. And for further knowledge its been going on since 1916 at Coney Island on the 4th of July.
I meant that watching the event may be becoming a tradition for me :eek: :D

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Anyone know how much 49 hot dogs weigh? It has to be more than 15 pounds of that crap!!! The most ive ever ate in a day is 5! Holy Crap!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
runninmac said:
Anyone know how much 49 hot dogs weigh? It has to be more than 15 pounds of that crap!!! The most ive ever ate in a day is 5! Holy Crap!
An 8-pack of Nathan's weighs 1 pound, which means 49 weighed about 6 pounds. Add in the buns/water for another couple of pounds, and you're probably somewhat under 10 pounds total.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I like Hot Dogs, but not enough to eat more than 3 of them in one day. I eat them both in buns and sliced with ketchup to dip them in.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
emw said:
An 8-pack of Nathan's weighs 1 pound, which means 49 weighed about 6 pounds. Add in the buns/water for another couple of pounds, and you're probably somewhat under 10 pounds total.
Hmm i was just a little off :D But thats still a huge amount to eat.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I don't even eat that many hot dogs in an entire year! That can't be good for ya... Nonetheless, impressive for what it is I guess. :cool:

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
If you're ever in Chicago you MUST go here.

Hot Doug's

Doug has been written up in the New York Times, Gourmet Magazine, Punk Planet, etc. He went to Kendall College (a fine culinary school) only to graduate and open a hot dog stand. They have "the finest in encased meats," and always have specialty sausages (alligator, duck, etc) on the menu. Don't miss out on Fridays and Saturdays when they cook their fries in duck fat - mmmmmm extra rich flavor yet light and crispy.

Their regular dogs are only $1.50 and their specialty items cost a bit more but boy are they worth it. Man, can you tell it's lunchtime here?

Today's specials at Hot Doug's...

The Game of the Week
Cherry Ostrich Sausage with Apricot-Orange Mustard Cream and Chopped Smoked Almonds $6.00

The Joanie Weston (Today's Celebrity Sausage)
Apple and Gouda Chicken Sausage with Honey-Dijon Mustard and Dried Blueberries $5.50

Other Specials
Spinach and Feta Turkey Sausage with Artichoke-Kalamata Olive Pesto and Feta Cheese $6.00

Smoked Cajun Duck Sausage with Chipotle Dijonnaise and Pepper-Jack Cheese $6.00

Jalapeno Pork Sausage with "Buffalo" Mustard and Crumbled Blue Cheese $5.00