How Much Do You Pay Monthly and Did Your Upgrade Eligibility Get Bumped Up 6 Mon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khongaeng, Jun 8, 2010.

?

How Much Do You Spend Monthly With AT&T ONLY If You Have Extra Early Upgrade Ability

Poll closed Jul 8, 2010.
  1. <$70

8.0%
  2. $71-$80

16.0%
  3. $81-$90

14.0%
  4. $91-$100

8.0%
  5. $101-$110

12.0%
  6. $111-$150

18.0%
  7. $150-$200

12.0%
  8. >$200

12.0%
  1. khongaeng macrumors regular

This poll is for users that bought a 3GS sometime near launch day in 2009, and now have their eligibility dates bumped up to 12 months (can upgrade early with subsidized 199 and 299 pricing). This poll is for AT&T users.

I'm in the boat where though I spend near $100 per month, am the primary account holder, and bought the 3GS on launch day, I still have an upgrade eligibility date of Feb 2011. Because I haven't been able to get a straight answer from AT&T CSR's as to a monetary cut-off point for upgrade eligibility, I wanted to find out what the cutoff is, if any.

In a post other information like if you have a FAN account, or if you changed your plan recently would also be helpful.

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I consistently pay late...so as long as your account is current when you try to update that won't matter...I got all iphones on launch day or within a week of launch... when the 3G was released I only got the reduced price not the upgrade price...when the 3GS launched I got it in July 2009 and paid 599... and I'm eligible for a FULL upgrade once my bill balance is paid. If I don't pay my balance before upgrading I get the $100 off price...my monthly bill averages $120 and I get a discount through the college I work at

3. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I noticed the next bill cycle for my family plan is on 6/14, is there a good chance my upgrade will be bumped after that date?

4. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

It's not about how much you pay a month on your bill.

Everyone who is eligible in 2010 for an upgrade gets to upgrade to the iPhone 4 now instead of waiting until july,aug,etc...

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I'm sure it does... I bought an iPhone 3GS with a 2 year contract in July and I can upgrade to the iPhone 4 with the subsidized pricing. I pay $150/month for 2 iPhones. Technically, my contract on my phone doesn't end until July of NEXT year and they bumped it.

6. supercaliber macrumors regular

I have five phones on ATT family plan and spend around $300 a month.

Can someone please offer me some advice on how to get my bill below $200.

Skype? Better Faves list, fewer minute plan, anything, i can't stand paying the man so much for stupid phones....

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

200?

Hrm. Y'all will have to go to to the lowest or almost lowest voice teir, limited data and minimum txt (500) with no overages.

8. AMDENCO macrumors regular

me and my wife bought our iphones on 12/08/09. AT&T already bumped us both up to full upgrade eligibility! Stoked cause i have only had this phone for 6 months and can already get the new iphone 4!

9. maggie2101 macrumors member

We pay around $130 a month for 2 iPhones and one standard phone on the family plan with a FAN account. I bought a 3GS last year at launch and gave my husband the 3G purchased the year before at launch (I think, hard to remember that far back). We are both eligible for upgrades. Our son, age 17, would be happy without a phone, but we make him carry one...weird, huh?

10. blockheads88 macrumors member

so it seems like that since i am on a family plan and the second line on the account it is not bring in a certain amount of money each month so AT&T wont bump my upgrade even though i bought it the first day and many other people who bought it the first can upgrade so i wanted to know how much money do u have to spend each month so that AT&T will bump you so for the next release i will know?

Thanks

11. Cash Regime macrumors member

Cash Regime

Hey guys,

I bought my iPhone 3GS last year at launch and currently pay 39.99 for voice, $30 for data, and $5 for texts. I am NOT eligible for the iPhone 4 upgrade until 2/2011. Is there anyone that is paying the same amount I am but IS eligible for the full discount?

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

13. WillieG macrumors member

WillieG

175.00 a month. The iphone is on a 9.99 line from a total of 5 lines. I've been advised to make the iphone line primary which is 60.00 + 30.00 family text (which is also on the primary line and 30.00 iphone data. This will bring me to over 100.00, thus giving me upgrade eligibility every 12 months.

my upgrade is not due until March 2011. I sold my 3GS for 400.00, so I can pay the early upgrade fee. when I do change my billing on my plan it will take about 3 months to take effect. Hopefully I'll be eligible 1 year after the early upgrade date.

14. outphase macrumors 65816

You're paying $150 in data and $40 for each additional line. I'm also assuming you probably have family texting at $30. That's $220 right there. Your best option is to just lower your rate plan and somehow get a FAN discount on there if someone on the plan works for an employer or goes to a university that has one available.

15. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I purchased a 3GS on launch day last year, and my bill is around $96 AFTER taxes, and AT&T still bumped me up to the full upgrade discount. So I'm not so sure that "your bill has to be $99 or more after taxes" is even a factor in this. Normally I wouldn't even be eligible for the early upgrade price until 18 months into my 24 month contract, which would be sometime after the first of next year at the earliest.

16. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

My contract originally started in July 2008 with two lines. An additional line was added in August 2009. The two lines are eligible for the upgrade since 2 lines will expire next month unless they renew their contract. However, the third line does not expire until August 2011. We pay $200+ every month and I was wondering whether the third line will be eligible for an upgrade within these two months as we don't want to have the third line be 1 year and 1 month behind in the contract. As of right now, it is upgradeable in March 2011.

17. Cash Regime macrumors member

Cash Regime

What's your rate plan? 40 for voice and texts or do you pay more for voice?

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I bought my 3GS on launch day last year -- my first phone with AT&T. I have the $39.99 voice plan, plus $30 data and $5 a month testing plan. According to the information I'm receiving through the AT&T site and via text, I'm eligible for the full upgrade $199/$299. Can't believe it, and won't fully until I order my iPhone 4 on the 15th, but Im thrilled with this. Was totally not expecting to be able to get this phone. Everything I've ever said bad about AT&T is now taken back...for now. Haha.

19. khongaeng thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate everyone's votes and comments. It looks to me like the cost of individual's plans really does not have any effect on upgrade eligibility.

They must be making decisions based on gender or racial profiling....only kidding.

In any case, this gives me ammunition for when I talk to AT&T next week, if my early upgrade date doesn't move at all before then. I will be OK with not being able to upgrade at a subsidized price early, but they had darn well be able to explain why I am not eligible.

It feels like I'm back in school again, and for some reason my essay was given a failing grade and my friend's was given an A, even though the substance of our answers were the same. AT&T, I just want to know what I have to do to get a passing grade, i.e. get the subsidized upgrade price.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I got my 3gs on July 22nd of last year and pay $98 a month. Figured since I was $2 shy of $100 a month I'd be screwed. But I checked earlier this month and was eligible for the new phone on 12/23 so I got the upgrade on mon.

I usually pay a few days late too. I did however call and complain about service near my home a few months ago and got my bill cut in half. Dunno if that made a difference.