How much do you think my 16gb/3g first gen iPad is worth??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by radiohed, Oct 4, 2011.

1. radiohed macrumors regular

I have decided to sell my first gen iPad and buy a new one. :D It is a 16gb/3g version. I baby my hardware and the thing is in perfect condition. If I put it up on craigslist for $300 including an Apple dock and a couple of cases, would that be a fair price? :confused:

2. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

You can go ask at gazelle.com. If you think you can get more on your own, have at it.

3. Ungibbed, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Gazelle is a complete rip off! I have a perfect barely used 64GB original (no 3G, wifi only) and was quoted in the $200 range.

Just for kicks I looked thorough and got a quote for my Apple 27" Cinema Display original box and all and got a lovely $167.00 offer. Insane! :eek:

@OP, it seems you're right in the pocket with a fair price and including your extras. The problem I have with Craigslist, is the idiots that offer you $75 and some chewed bubblegum hoping you will take the offer and flip it for a profit and the obvious scam attempts with Paypal.

If all fails, go the eBay route. I have bought and sold a lot of Apple hardware with both parties happy. :apple:

4. radiohed thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice! I agree, Gazelle quoted me $225 for the iPad. I listed it on CL as "Local buyers only" to avoid the scammers. I will go the ebay route if I don't get any bites.

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

They offered me $197 for my 64gb 3g ipad 1. I think I will hold out for something better.

6. ame8199 macrumors 6502

Probably overpaid, but I bought my first gen iPad 16g wifi only a few weeks ago for 350.00 off of eBay. Great condition and came with two cases even thou the cases suck, I'll use it until I can get another.

7. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Not sure of the area you're in, but just read the other day about a Craigslist deal gone sour. Turned out that this bloke wasn't too bright enough to meet in a very public area (Starbucks, mall, anything)

They met at an apartment complex and the seller was mugged and had his 17" MBP stolen along with his wallet...

It's a shame that trust is such an issue these days and it disgusts me. Then again, it was a fail waiting to happen.

Some people don't trust me since I have an out of state cell number. I've had the same number for ten years and not about to change things up. I just describe local places that helps a bit.

Just selling something though is killing me. I have a near new Blackberry with all it's original gear and a lot of extras and had people complaining that asking $200 was too much. Eventually my listing got flagged down by spiteful people in my area. :rolleyes:

8. radiohed thread starter macrumors regular

Well after posting of Craigslist, a co-worker decided she wanted it and paid the $300 I was asking. :D I got the usual CL offers of $200, can you ship to the UK and I will pay you $400, etc. Yeah right! :rolleyes:

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I'd say you got a good deal and your co-worker probably paid a $25-$50 premium to purchase from someone she knows and trusts. A win-win.

10. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Well said. :cool:

11. Blakjack, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Gazelle and the other sites like it are nothing more than digital pawn shops. Stay away from them unless u need money for a quick fix.

All u have to do is go on eBay and see what others are selling there's for.

350 to 375 wouldn't have been bad sell price. It's a 64 gb. The kindle fire is 200 bucks. The iPad 1 16gb is much better than the kindle fire. Just because it's a 1st gen model doesn't mean u sell it for 200 bucks.

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

FWIW eBay instant sale offers $280.50 for a 16GB WiFi/3G iPad so you got in the ballpark +$20

13. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Hard to believe that SIMs for the unlimited plan are still going for well over $300 on eBay.

Keeping my options open I've just continued to pay my $30/month for my plan. With these offers, I could almost get a new iPad for free if I sold my iPad 1 32GB 3G model.

14. KDNYC macrumors member

I always check eBay auctions to see what "market value" looks like. For CL I expect that people will often offer less, but the advantage is a quick sale and no ebay fees.

I would also pay a lil more to buy from someone I know who has cared for the machine than a stranger.

And yeah ... safety. For women that goes double. I meet people in my lobby, which has someone working the door.

15. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Just sold 2 of the ipad 1's on ebay . One sold for $370 and the other for $378. Neither were 3g and both were in excellent condition. Both included an applemcase. After ebay and paypal fees i netted about $335 on each of them.

16. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

How much storage?