How much do you think the Sport band costs Apple to produce?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by youradhere4222, Jun 6, 2015.

1. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

The Sport band is obviously great and looks nice, but I thought it would be fun to discuss how comically high Apple's profit margins are on this band.

The watch retails for $50. My guess is Apple can make the band and packaging for less than $10. What say you?

2. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter. The "costs" you are referring about is called "cost of goods sold" and results in higher gross profit. However, it may exclude other costs associated in the development of the bands (r&d) and other indirect costs (operating overhead such as indirect labor and indirect materials) as well as operating expenses related to selling the sport bands, which are presented in the financial statements below gross profit so it doesn't get included in the calculation of gross margins, which is what most non-financial people look at. You have to look at a firm's EBITDA or EBIT margins

3. youradhere4222 thread starter macrumors 6502

I realize there are R&D costs but those exist for every smartwatch and band produced. More importantly, they're largely fixed and recouped many times over early within the product lifecycle. In Apple's case, I would guess that their allocated R&D expense amounts to less than a dollar for each band given the number sold thus far. The same can be said for the other expenditures you mentioned.

I suppose I am trying to make a point that Apple is probably making, at minimum, twice the amount of profit on each band as other smartwatch manufacturers. But I am genuinely curious what peoples' guesses are as to the actual production cost of each sports band, overhead included.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

$5, max.

A Livestrong band sells for about $10, and the materials look similar. The cost to manufacture an AW sport band is probably less than that.

5. dwfaust, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

They don't make anything on the ones you don't buy. If your concern is Apple's obscene profit margins, then don't participate. I'd put this in the "golden rule" category - those with the gold get to make the rules... or in this case, those with the goods get to set the price. Whether you or I, as individuals, choose not to participate, I doubt Apple much cares.

However, I would direct you to the aftermarket. What is the build quality of those products vs "genuine Apple"? And what is the cost of each? Apple sells the sports bands at $50/pop because they can, not necessarily because that's what it costs to design, maunfacture, market and distribute.

6. youradhere4222 thread starter macrumors 6502

I disagree completely. There is room for people who like Apple's products but wish they'd adopt profit margins more consistent with the rest of the industry. Hopefully I can inspire some other Apple fans to ask why Apple sells smartwatch bands for two or three times as much as other manufacturers who sell what is essentially the same product. Not everyone is a stockholder, most of us are just consumers.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

More like under $2. It's nothing more than rubber.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why does Apple charge $50 for the sport band? Because they can. If their prices bother you the only thing you can do is not buy their products.

9. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Heh. Funny, I was going to say $3 because of the stainless steel pin. :)

10. andrewstirling macrumors regular

It probably costs them about the same as the ikepod straps cost to make. They look identical and the same designer designed them both. They're currently selling for around £300

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really. Apple's is mass produced in the millions so cheaper per unit.

12. andrewstirling macrumors regular

Still reckon their profit margin per strap is a whole lot lower!

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep I am betting on a buck with packaging.

Welcome to the world of Apple.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

My bet would be under one dollar. Maybe $0.78.

15. srshaw macrumors 6502

Can you actually still buy livestrong bands? I bought a couple back in the day but it wasn't more than a couple of GBPs. Sadly I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those things now or anything else associated with Lance Armstrong.

16. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yep, you can still get them. I see them all the time. Like you, I am surprised. But, they managed to survive Lance.

http://store.livestrong.org/wristbands.html

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Actual raw materials: under a dollar. Probably more like 10-50 cents.

Labor: maybe another 10-50 cents per piece.

But royalties, advertising, r and D maybe up to 10 dollars per piece.

Rememebr these look a lot like Marc Newsons watch stuff. I would not be surprised if he gets a small percentage of all watch sales.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple hired him as a consultant on a part time basis. It doesn't necessarily mean Newson gets a royalty for each sale that uses his designs as you'd expect when a company approaches an outsider.

19. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Pure materials and manufacturing? Less than a $1 based on Apples HUGE scale of production.

Proprietary fastening system, design, marketing, etc. It's likely they're losing money at $50/band currently. That will flip flop very soon and actual profits will be made. For many, many years.

Question is; How much will Apple charge others to use their fastening system for off brand bands?

20. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

They copied the band.

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Newson just said in an interview he's spending about 60% of his time on Apple. My guess is he's more than a consultant.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How can Marc Newson copy himself?

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Regardless, he doesn't even have an official job title at Apple.