Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
I was looking to get a 13' rMBP and was thinking of getting an i7 processor to help 'future-proof' it somewhat.

My question is this though :

How much less battery life does an i7 get compared to an i5?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
You'll notice the difference under medium/heavy workloads. Under light usage, it's extremely minimal.

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
You'll notice the difference under medium/heavy workloads. Under light usage, it's extremely minimal.

When you say you'll notice the difference under medium / heavy workloads, how much less than the 9 hours quoted by Apple? 8? 7? 6? :confused:

Just trying to see if it's a HUGE difference in battery life as I'm trying to future proof my purchase (with an i7) but not at the expense of too much battery loss.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
When you say you'll notice the difference under medium / heavy workloads, how much less than the 9 hours quoted by Apple? 8? 7? 6? :confused:

Just trying to see if it's a HUGE difference in battery life as I'm trying to future proof my purchase (with an i7) but not at the expense of too much battery loss.

What kind of things will you be doing with your Mac?

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
What kind of things will you be doing with your Mac?

Lots of tabs open while surfing the web, iTunes playing music, editing audio recordings, a ton of microsoft word use, and photo editing.

I'm a multitasker of sorts so I have a lot of those things open at the same time.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Lots of tabs open while surfing the web, iTunes playing music, editing audio recordings, a ton of microsoft word use, and photo editing.

I'm a multitasker of sorts so I have a lot of those things open at the same time.

That does not constitute a medium/heavy workload at all. The most you'll notice is a 30 minutes difference, but you don't even need an i7 for that usage.

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
That does not constitute a medium/heavy workload at all. The most you'll notice is a 30 minutes difference, but you don't even need an i7 for that usage.

Really? Just curious then, what does constitute medium/heavy workload? I always figured it was having a lot of the above programs open at once like I do. I'd like to know what type of program is considered high use.

I want to get the i7 to future proof the device so that it still runs zippy 8 years from now and I don't have to look for a new laptop anytime soon.

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
I want to get the i7 to future proof the device so that it still runs zippy 8 years from now.

You're delusional.

Said a nicer way, the CPU i7 in the rMBP 13" isn't that much different than the i5 (check geekbench). They are all dual core. In 8 years the CPU required to run the then-current programs zippily will be a far different beast than the 2013 era i#'s. Many posts here about future proofing and it boils down to RAM and SSD selection, with differing opinions even on that (depending on final use and willingness to have page outs).

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I want to get the i7 to future proof the device so that it still runs zippy 8 years from now and I don't have to look for a new laptop anytime soon.

Run zippy, 8 yrs from now? not gonna happen. I think you're also under the false impression that there's a huge difference between the i7 and i5 for the 13".

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
This thread should be combined with the other one he created regarding which 13" rMBP to get that will last at least 8 years.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
There's no way adding an i7 is going to keep it zippy for 8 years and RAM is way, way more important for uses if you want it to stay fast for as long as possible.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

The underlined is probably going to be one of your bigger battery hogs, MS isn't too keen on optimizing the performance of their apps on the Mac (the same applies for apple on the PC).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.