How much does battery health decline?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andymac2210, Jan 31, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

After 60 charge cycles on my 2010 macbook pro the battery healthy is at a fairly decent 90% according to istat pro.
    Not a big deal since it can be plugged in most of the time anyway.
    But a phone is quite different, a phone spends 95%(or more) of it's life on the move, not charging.

Would this be similar to the iPhones battery?
    If so, you'd be looking at a 10% degradation in 2 months assuming 1 charge a day.
    That's 30% in 6 months and 60% in 1 year!

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

Your battery will be fine. Istat is pretty accurate, but not 100%. I had my 4 for almost 2 years now with virtually no noticeable drop in battery life.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Battery decline isn't linear anyways. Stop worrying about your battery and just use your iPhone/Macbook Pro how you want to. You're wasting your time fussing about things that can be easily and cheaply replaced.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The iPhones battery is pretty much the same type as any other on the cellphone market... And none of my cellphones have ever had a significant decrease in battery life.

5. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

So are you saying the battery decline may be slower than that of the macbook pro's battery?

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not necessarily. We are simply advising you to not worry about it.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think that after 5 years of iPhones, it'd be pretty common knowledge by now if this were true.

It's far more likely that this isn't the case than it being true and everyone hiding it somehow.

8. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

19 months on my iPhone 4 and still going strong. I don't think I've even lost 10% of capacity. Use about 1 gb of cellular data per month and lots more over wifi. Charge almost once a day.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

[​IMG]

you should check your math

10. kadentrom macrumors newbie

Depending upon the individual there may be an increase in irritability and perhaps some trouble staying focused, but overall, the body and the mind still function as long as the sleep deprivation doesn't continue.

11. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I honestly wouldn't worry about it that much.

2011 Macbook Pro, Purchased Late June. 262 Charge Cycles, 94% health.

12. jamewhite86, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

jamewhite86 macrumors newbie

How much does battery health decline?

I dont plug in my power adapter when i come back from my friends and the battery will run out. the last two times the health has dropped dramatically. thanks for lot of information.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Just think about what you are implying. I assume you have an iPhone. Have you experienced this over the course of a year? No? We;ll then, you answered your own question.

Going a bit deeper, where are you getting these numbers. Based on the degradation level that a piece of third party software told you about your one device you tested? That is hardly going to be a statistically relevant number when trying to look at things as a whole. I am sure there are threads, tests, etc. about this. Did you search? Not trying to be rude, but the forums seem to be teaming with questions like this.