How much does the glass cover of the displays in the Macbook Pro's weigh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jul 7, 2009.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Has anybody measured? Should be similar percentage-wise in the 13, 15, and 17 inch models...

I suppose the easiest way to tell would be weighing the matte and glassy 17 inch versions.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think you've supposed wrong.

The matte 17" still has a cover over the LCD panel, it's just a matte finish cover as opposed to the shiny glass cover.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

I have also wondered about this. The new unibody construction should result in a lighter computer. Instead, the unibody 15" is a bit heavier than the "classic" construction. I think the glass is partly to blame.

Glass is very heavy material. This is evident with the "loose hinge problem" on the unibodies. There's nothing wrong with the hinge, it's just that it has trouble supporting the weight of a big ass piece of glass at a 45 degree angle.

The matte 17" version should be lighter because the glass is removed in favor of matte plastic, so it should logically be lighter than the 6.5lb glossy version. However, the sheet of glass is one of the reason the screen it's rigid and doesn't bend at all. So I think when Apple took off the glass of the 17" mbp, they had to find ways to reinforce the screen on the inside with additional materials, so it probably isn't noticeably lighter overall.

5. mrmister macrumors regular

I went hunting for this info, and I wish I could remember where I found it, but somewhere someone weighed their 17" PB matte and discovered it was about .3 lbs, or 1/3 of a pound.

If anyone finds more info, it'd be interesting to know.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Op, what is your fascination with weight? Are you anemic or suffer from a rare bone disease that causes you to be weak? Jw

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's acrylic glass which means it's really light.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Supposedly when Apple introduced the glass/unibody MBP, the lid portion weighed less than it did before with plastic. So, LCD weight or other parts weighed much less, OR the glass is really really thin and doesn't weigh much.

I would love to know the true answer.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The glass is acrylic, not glass-glass. It's not any plain old acrylic, but reinforced and much more glossier.