How much does the Pope make?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Oct 3, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

And if the pope makes no money then what's the point of the churches collecting so much money and sending it to the Vatican?

Also why would anyone want to be the Pope?

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

The Vatican needs money for a number of things, such as world-wide charities they run, the bureaucracy of a modern state, support for the clergy who live and work there, maintaining the works of art in their possession, etc.

There's more to life than money. And actually the current pope prayed that he not be elected pope. These days, ambition to be pope probably makes it less likely that you be elected.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Looks like the reverse psychology prayer worked a treat.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Legal fees for priests who molest boys. Moving expenses for moving around priests who molest boys. Settlement payments to people who were molested by priests, etc. You know, the usual stuff....

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

most cases are from before 1970

Pope Benedict XVI developed protocol that would make these come to light much faster

Protestant sex abuse scandals rarely make major headlines because with Catholics they are "them" and with protestants it is "us". Basically classic Us vs. Them

Protestants are much more divided and thus harder to keep accurate count of cases

Everyone loves a good conspiracy and with the Catholic Church it is a huge monolithic organization so you can scream cover up and new world order at the same time

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Have you got a good link with the number and when these abuse cases happened? I'd like to see how many there are and where and when they happened. It's not something I followed too closely in the past.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

hearty laughter, followed by coughing on the smoke you are blowing

Let me see, Jimmy Swaggart leaps to mind, along with Jim Bakker, Ted Haggard, and most recently, Eddie Long (which almost sounds like a stage name :eek: )

Consult this page for these and more.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Oops. Someone's going to Hell for asking too many questions.

You don't need to know what they spend it on. Just have faith and keep sending the cash in.

As to why anyone would want to be the Pope read up on some of those that have been over the centuries. A lot of parties can be had, with the devout picking up the bill.

9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I apologize, I confused the facts
    Sydde, I'm referring to the fact that there were over 7,000 accusation between 1993-2003, with half of those from between 2002 and 2003. I'm sure the number has gone far up

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Nothing fails like prayer :p

11. Shivetya macrumors 65816

and lets not forget the real bogeyman hiding under the covers, abuse at schools. Which apparently is not allowed to be made public by law in many states. Go figure.

Many Catholics have no problem turning these Priests over to the authorities, but like all other groups getting it past the thick skulls of the bureaucracy is a whole 'nuther matter.

Oh, the Catholic Church does provide an immense amount of aid across the world and the majority of it has no strings attached; other than please don't kill the aid givers.

Their ratio on the good versus bad side still falls to the good, by a vast margin.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What is the reference?

13. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Like I said in the previous post

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thanks for the link. Where might one get a copy of this report?