How much faster is the 2.6GHz Quad-core I7 than the 2.3GHz I7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oxband, Jun 6, 2014.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I recently bought this computer: http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

That said, I'm having slight buyers remorse, wondering if, given the fact I use the computer a lot for making music with Logic and video with Final Cut, I should have gone with the faster processor here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...-26ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

I'd rather not spend the extra money......but I'd do it if it was worth it for the processor. I don't need the bigger hard drive. It's the processor part I find appealing.

I know I can look at speeds online in tests. But, I'll admit, those numbers dont mean too much to me. I don't know practically what it means. So, I figured I'd ask the list. I know this is a difficult question, but practically, how much of a speed difference is there between the two? If this will be my workhorse for 4-5 years, is it worth the extra money for the speed?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

General rule of thumb is that processor speed has to increase 20% to see a noticeable difference to the user. Will you notice whether a task takes 30 seconds to complete vs 34 seconds? That's about what you would see.

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

I could see the difference being noticeable if I'm exporting large files or trying to render large things. Wouldn't it mean a 20% difference there too?

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

2.3GHz to 2.6GHz is only a 13% increase.

Barney

5. Pudlo macrumors member

I think it's much better to spend those money on fast external storage or good monitor like LG 34um95. It can bump your productivity more then cpu difference.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

0.3 GHz

:D

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If I'm not mistaken, the 2.6GHz variant has a larger L3 cache as well. A 2MB increase in L3 cache can result in about another 20-25% increase in power.

The 2.3GHz i7-4850HQ has 6MB of L3 cache and the 2.6GHz i7-4960HQ has 8MB of L3 cache if I remember correctly.

Both processors have the same amount of L4 cache though.

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I often see 2.6/16/512 in the refurbished store and it's definitely cheaper.

Keep your eyes open because they do come!

I actually had the 2.3 and 2.6 and people will burn me for this but the 2.6 seemed snappier overall.

"Hog wash! It's in your head yadda yadda" and maybe it was but that's honestly what my experience was as I saw it.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You weren't imagining things. The slightly snappier performance in the 2.6GHz variant is due to the larger L3 cache and the 0.3GHz speed bump.

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Boo yah! I feel like I have just been exonerated thanks to yjchua95.

I knew I wasn't dreaming!