How much faster is the 5S from the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Sep 21, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I heard the difference was almost negligible. I don't want any obvious fanboyism in here lol

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It all depends on what you're doing and how you use the phone.

If you do nothing but browse basic websites, check mail, and text, there won't be much of a difference. If you play intensive games or use apps that require a lot of power, it's noticeable.

As more apps are converted to 64 bit, the speed difference will become more apparent.

3. firewater macrumors regular

1sec if you ask me, some website pages load faster with 5. Plus the screen brighter on the 5 too.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It's faster than my 5 for sure, but it's not blowing my socks off. I certainly wouldn't buy it solely for the speed. The fingerprint sensor and the camera are worth it if you can sell your 5 to cover the cost of a $199,$299,$399 upgrade. It would definitely not be worth spending full price to go to the 5S from the 5, unless you have money to burn, even then...

5. Mixedcreation macrumors newbie

I've noticed what appears to me as an increase in speed while downloading items. Maybe a slight increase in doing normal tasks

My 5s seems to have a yellowish tint or warmer color compared to the 5. At first I didn't notice it all that much till last night when it was darker and I was doing side by side comparisons when setting the phone up for someone else and checking the brightness settings. I'm sure I will get over it, but there did seem to be a noticeable difference between the two.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Until more resource intensive apps come out I'm not sure how big the difference you notice will be.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

As of now I havn't heard anyone proclaim big differences between the two.

8. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I might upgrade. I know I know it's useless but hear me out, I could just rejoin at&t under my moms plan and get the phone for $200, which isn't a problem because I have $1500 just waiting to be spent in the refund my college gave me. I spent the other $1105 on a new shiny macbook pro and magic mouse lol.

Selling my phone at radioshack or Target covers the $240/250 ETF fee on Verizon so there is really no cost at all.

9. itjw macrumors 65816

Almost fast enough to say I'll never want it faster for a phone (would really rather they focus on battery now).

It feels snappier (especially Safari). Twice as fast? Nah, but appreciably faster.

The 5 felt twice as fast as the 4S. The 5S, maybe 1.5x as fast. So 50% faster is my conclusion :)

10. corys00 macrumors regular

I notice the difference with Infinity Blade 3 between my iPhone 5s and iPad 4. But normal stuff like web text and video I don't notice any bump between my 5 and my 5s

11. cbanksy9 macrumors member

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

13. Stoodo macrumors member

iMovie seemed to be very snappy. I am sure that app is very processor dependent.