How much faster would new iMac be to make it worth the wait for most people?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nec207, Jun 16, 2012.

1. nec207, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

nec207 macrumors 6502

How much faster would new iMac be than the old one to make worth the wait for most people.

Most likely when apple brings out new iMac it be 8GB RAM , i7 quad core ivy bridge , 1TB hard-drive and some may be option for SSD. Better video card and may be some model retina display:eek:

So other than the retina display it probably be 30% faster base on those spects and past history of apple.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you mean faster and not fater? You typed fater twice in your post including the thread title. ;)

I have a 2010 iMac i7 and I still think the speed is fantastic. I'll get a new iMac, maybe in another year or two. I'd like to have TB, USB3, FW800 and another amazing CPU. A Retina display would be nice, but only if the price isn't too steep. Right now, the price would be insanely high as Retina is still quite new and only on the new RMBP as the first traditional computer to get it.

3. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

I fixed the typo before you replied to my post . I think macrumors server is slow at updating my edited post.

4. nagareru macrumors regular

It all comes to two situations. If you can wait (6~7 months coz no1 in this forum know for sure when it will be updated) then wait.
    If you need a computer just buy it.

I need a computer but i can wait

5. Aodhan macrumors regular

For me it's all about the graphics chip. I need 1gb at least, and I need it on the 21.5-inch model, because I don't have the space for a honkin 27-incher on my desk. A faster processor will just be gravy.

6. Dillus macrumors member

Here's what I'd like to know:
    Assuming the iMac gets a speed bump similar to what the new Macbooks from WWDC got (ivy bridge, usb 3.0, etc.), how much of a speed increase will there be? Will it even be noticeable in every day situations? I think we all agree that there will be no redesign until next year, so I'm coming to the personal conclusion that the speed increase might not be worth all this waiting in agony :rolleyes:

7. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Studies have shown it takes about 20% speed difference to be noticeable. Ivy Bridge will bring about that, so you're talking barely faster if at all for everyday tasks. Graphics may gain more, but will you notice? I'm waiting for USB 3.0 which is much faster than 2.0 and devices are much more affordable than FireWire or Thunderbolt. Many are waiting since it simply bothers them to pay full price for last year's technology, fast as it may be.

8. RandomMistakes macrumors newbie

At this point, the only thing that can sway me is a real desktop graphics card. But it's not going to happen. Oh well...

9. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I felt that way when I first bought an iMac. That was in 2006, and it didn't make a whole lot of difference then and it really is almost inapplicable now. The new mobile GPU's are fantastic.

10. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

It doesn't need to be faster at all. It just needs to reattain price parity for its value. Right now the 2011 iMac costs too much. A Mac upon refresh, and usually for a good 6-8 months afterward, is a good value for the money. The current iMac is no longer that. Threads like this talking about how it's only a small performance increase are missing the point by a country mile. It's a question of economics, period.

It could be a fairly modest speed boost, really, at the same price level. A few CTO options like SSDs need to get a LOT cheaper but they will anyway -- the market for SSDs changed a great deal last winter when the Thailand flooding took HDDs out of supply and the SSD manufacturers ramped up volume significantly. The CTO price changes to the notebook lines on Monday were quite appropriate; anything in the same ballpark for the iMac will be acceptable.

11. RandomMistakes macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I use my computer for 3D rendering purposes and while I am surprised at the speed of renderings on my MacBook pro, it doesn't come close to a good workstation GPU.

I completely agree with you though. For 90% of people and uses, the mobile GPUs are absolutely fine. If it weren't for rendering, I'd be all over the iMac.

12. jmhart macrumors regular

Indeed...if the new Mac gets the NVidia 680M as many of us suspect, we would be getting a downclocked GK104--the same Kepler core that this generations desktop NV GPUs are based on. It also appears to have the same core count and memory interface as the desktop GTX 670 albeit at a consoderably lower clock.

Still, it will be the closest thing to a desktop GPU that the iMac has ever had. This fact alone make it worth waiting a bit longer until the 680M is in the wild, which hasn't happened yet.

13. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

How much faster that video card be if apple puts in 20% or 30% faster than the one they have now?

14. boto macrumors 6502

boto

The GTX 680m is about 25% faster in benchmarks than the AMD 6970m in the current top of the line iMac. In addition, gaming performance will be up to double the frame rate, so almost all games can play with playable FPS except Witcher 2 and Metro 2033.

15. jmhart macrumors regular

Based on preliminary NVidia provided benchmarks, the 680M averages 50% faster than the 580M as seen in this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5914/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680m-kepler-gk104-goes-mobile

Assuming the 580M and 6970M are similar performers, you could expect roughly the same 50% average increase in graphics performance over the 2011 iMac.

16. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I take it the video card is what going to really have more impact than any thing else.

The CPU probably be only 20% to 30% faster.

Note the GTX 680m do out soon ?

17. jmhart macrumors regular

Yep the big benefits over the 2011 model will be graphics performance and USB 3.0, unless there are other feature changes we won't know about until it's released.

The 680M was announced almost 2 weeks ago, but nobody is shipping them to end users yet. It shouldn't be long now, and definitely in time for the release of Mountain Lion if Apple is waiting to release the new iMac at about the same time.

18. iMcLovin, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Even if the performance increase on cpu and gpu will be somewhat moderate, it is because of what you get for the money today I´m holding back. If you are today maxing out the specs on the iMac entirely, you end up with the price of $3200. ...while I´m fine paying that for a new iMac, I just can´t help thinking I´m paying for more than 1 year old setup and pricetag.
    I should at least expect to get USB 3 and probably a 512gb SSD included in that price. Apples todays price for a 256gb SSD is more than what the average price is for 512gb SSD´s.
    But actually what holds me most back is that I have a tiiiiny hope that the new antiglare technology they have will come to the next iMac. I mean, my iMac screen is so shiny and reflective that on a nice day there are several hours I see more of what´s going on behind me than what is going on on the monitor.

In addition, I like the new power nap feature of mountain lion. I would like to have that to whatever new mac purchase I do. I hate how my time capsule keep backing up and slowing my machine while I´m working...it´s annoying, yet I want to make backups. So, Powernap seems to be a good solution worth having.

19. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Apple will add Bluetooth 4.0 l'île it has donne with thé iPhone 4S, new iPad, and the refreshed MBA & MBP.

20. Scythe5 macrumors regular

For me, it's really just the graphics card and USB 3. If offered, I would pay the extra $ for the 680M.

21. 49JC macrumors member

22. nec207, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

It going to be fast but not super fast .

Like others here said CPU ( i7 quad core ivy bridge ) be 30% faster and video card 50% faster .And 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB hard drive.Do not know how much faster USB 3 is over USB 2.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'll wait as long as it takes.

Gotta wait. No way I'm getting an iMac today with new models just around the corner. I suspect they be announced in July when ML is released. Or not. Either way, it's a waiting game.

24. cypress822 macrumors regular

Just around the corner?? This wait has been like a big circle...with no corner---just going around and around...but never reaching the corner. Its been right around the corner since late winter...its summer now. :(

25. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure it be out when mountain lion comes out it well makes perfect sense. If it next year it got be new design or it be sad day for apple that they not into pro users any more but i-Gadget customers :( .