How much for a week old iphone 5 16gb AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramio, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Hello guys,

My buddy wants to sell me a one week old black iphone 5 16gb for AT&T. It's in pristine condition. Has the receipt and pretty much has the whole 1 year warranty left. What's a fair market price for his phone?. I'm in Houston if that helps. Would appreciate any input.

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

You get the most bang for the buck getting a 32 or 64GB model. You literally get them for 50 cents on the dollar (meaning people paid $200 to to from 16 to 64 but you can get it for an extra $100. I scored a 64GB iPhone 5 for $450 today. In fact I am posting this from my new iPhone!

3. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I just had to replace mine with a new white 16gb a week old also and going to sell it this Friday. I'm going to sell it for 400.00. So that might be a good quide. I have seen prices a lot higher but not sure I would pay more myself.

4. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

If he bought it new 1 week ago, he should be able to return it no problem as most retailers allow at least 14 days for returns.

5. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

No, he stole it a week ago. :eek:

6. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

He went back to an android phone and decided to sell this one for extra cash. I saw the receipt and all the papers so I know it's not stolen.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    A used iPhone in the same shape and storage is usually around the same price whether he bought it a week ago or 6 months ago.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

he can still return it/

9. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

He paid $99 on contract so I'm guessing he wants to make some profit on it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I would do.
    And get a 5S instead next week and bring in some good cash;)

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

tell him to get you the 5S instead and you pay an extra $100 lol :cool:

12. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Already getting the 5s for myself for 199.99 on contract. Thinking about buying the 5 for a family member. Just want to know how much to give him.

13. tonie, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

tonie macrumors 6502

IMO, a fair price would be $300 and I wouldn't pay any more than that. But if I were to buy an iphone today, I wouldn't even pay $300 as I don't think it worth that much.

14. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Nothing, because it doesn't make any sense.

15. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

You don't make any sense. If you have nothing useful to say, stay out. I appreciate all who actually answered me.

16. tonie macrumors 6502

Why doesn't it make sense? He's buying for a family member.

17. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Doesn't make sense because why would you not just return it and get the 5s? If the point is to sell it you will surely get more money from the new one. Why would anyone want a 5 or a 5c now that apple is going 64bit. You are going to be left out in the cold next year when all the apps are 64bit only because devs don't want to deal with the 32bit anymore. Don't believe me? I'm on snow leopard right now, want to know how many apps are Lion only? Lots. Going to be forced into upgrading if I want to stay current. Hell, even apps I bought like Remote Desktop are Lion only and I bought it when it was for Snow. I tried to re-download it and it would not download. Called apple and was told to upgrade to Lion to get it again. WTF? You will see. 32bit will be dead very fast.

18. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

His friend bought it using an upgrade -- on contract -- for $99... Why would he "just return it" and get a measly $99 when he could sell it and get $250+ profit? You guys make no economical sense.

OP, I would say $380 is the highest you should pay. I don't think $400 for last years base model is worth it.

19. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Ummm, how many reasons do you want.

He could return it and...

1. get the 5s and sell for $400 profit.
    2. use discount for another phone.
    3. leave ATT and go t-mobile for cheap.
    4. Get the Note III which is badass. :D

That iphone 5 is worth not a $1 over $300. So he is only making a $150 profit unless he got the phone with no tax and no upgrade fee which he didn't. Stupid.

20. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

1. He clearly wanted to do his friend a solid and sell him a new phone phone at a good price. Obviously OP's family member would have to pay more than whatever the friend is offering.
    2. Obviously he was satisfied with whatever android phone he already had
    3. What? Are you going to pay his ETF?
    4. Maybe he doesn't want a big ass phone.

I honestly can't tell if you're trying to be this dumb or if this is natural.

21. tonie, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

tonie macrumors 6502

Dude! You sound ridiculous! How's he going to profit $400? Buying an iPhone 5S is going to cost around $250 with tax. There's no way he can sell it for $650 cash. Your reasoning doesn't sound. If you're trying to sound smart then you're doing the very opposite.

22. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

1. You don't know if he wanted to do him a solid. Conjecture.
    2. Maybe he is not satisfied, maybe he is poor, maybe he is stupid. You don't know.
    3. If he returns the iphone he has no ETF. He signed a new contract to get that phone. Wake up bro.
    4. Everyone wants a big ass phone. Deal.

----------

You come off as not the smart one. There is total possibility to get $650. The phone cost $650. If someone wanted one and its brand new unopened they would at least save tax not to mention if it is a hit and is sold out everywhere he could stand to make more money. This is not possible with the old 5 he signed a 2yr contract for. Now you look "ridiculous". LOL.

23. tonie macrumors 6502

If you want to talk about retail then he can also make as much or more if he sells the iPhone 5. To be honestly, it's appointless to reason with someone like you. What's your major? I hope you're going to college or still in college because you have a long way to go buddy.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

$600 if really your friend and is like new.

$450 for everyone else.

25. Ann P macrumors 68020

About $450 brand new. Might be worth a little more if you unlock it.