How much free space should I leave on my 32GB iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caarlooos, Jul 30, 2012.

1. caarlooos macrumors newbie

I currently bought a new iPad (3rd generation) this week and I completly filled it with apps. I then got told that I should leave a little bit of free space. Should I leave free space? How much? And why?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes: Leave as much or as little free space as you want. It's your iPad, isn't it?

3. caarlooos thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true... but is it recommended to do so? Ive never had an iPad before and I want to take really good care of it. I never fill up my iPhone though...

4. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I would say leave about 2GB. When it gets too full, sometimes you can't update apps without using iTunes since the iPad has to fully download the new version before it can delete the old ones.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

leave 10GB free if you plan to take photo and video.

6. irDigital0l Guest

LOL

If you run out of space just delete some apps.

You take car of your iPad by not dropping it on cement.

You use your iPad by downloading stuff.

To put it into perspective, if you don't use up more than half of 32GB (I think it starts out at like 28.5GB), so if you don't use at least 14GB...you could have went with the 16GB and not wasted $100.

7. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

It depends on what you are doing with your apps. If you are creating documents, video, data, or photos, you will need a few gbs free. Otherwise you won't damage your iPad hardware by having it filled.

8. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

Oh no; the more MB you cram in there it can start to bulge and warp the case! Just try to take THAT to the genius bar.

The other day I crammed 20 gallons of gas into my car which has a 12-gallon gas tank, and now it leans to the left.

9. dancj macrumors 6502

It's a perfectly good question. The conventional wisdom on a pc has always been to leave 10% of the hard drive free to keep the performance good. I guess that's for swap files and the like.

I'm not convinced that still applies. I certainly can't think of any reason why a 64gb iPad would need 4 times as much free space as a 16gb iPad.

I have looked before and never seen any definitive advice on this though - but I've never had any performance issues when I've slipped down to 2gb free.

10. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Similarly, one day I crammed too much beer into me and I leaned to the left as well. Then I fell over.

It just shows you, you can have too much of a good thing. Maybe the OP is right.

11. davys macrumors regular

Might have known it would be a Scotsman!

12. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Interesting question regarding swap files and such. In this day and age with RAM being so plentiful I wonder how this has changed.

13. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Leave 28 gig free and only use the included apps. :D

I have run into the unable to update apps on my iPhone. The most recent Numbers update. So I deleted it, I just had it there because of the ability to look at a spreadsheet I made on the iPad and did not really need it - annoying though. It takes a long time before you are informed that there is a problem.

14. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

what's great about iOS, is that you won't notice a performance slow down even if you only have 50MB of available space. it doesn't act like a conventional operating system, especially not like Windows where when you get really low in storage space so many crazy things start happening error wise.

i once got my iPad down to 24MB remaining. no performance slow down whatsoever. however, as someone else mentioned, i couldn't update an app. no biggie - i deleted something and made room for it. you can do this hundreds of times and not see a reduction in performance at all.

i truly love iOS with a passion (coming from a former Blackberry owner)

15. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Use it all up if you want but you will need around 1gb free if you want to do OTT updates.