How much has your lifestyle changed due to the price of gas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Apr 19, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

With gas in my area rapidly approachin $3.50 a gallon, (and it will probably go higher as the summer progresses), Ive pretty much had to cut out many things I used to enjoy. No more driving 40 miles or so to go mountain biking or hiking on the weekends, Ive cut out going to concerts (used to go to about 20 shows a year), trips to stores have been cut unless it is absolutely needed, no more "just going for a drive", dating is cut down quite a bit also, etc...etc...IN other words, Ive become a homebody and a hermit for the most part.

Anyone else have some major lifestyle changes due to gas prices, and the price of everything else rising?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I just started riding my bike back in 1993, when gas prices were, by today's standards, low. I've rented a car twice since then and I still use mass transit where it's available. I'm within walking distance from work (which is an airport) and since I work for an airline, I can fly places for free instead of driving. So gas prices haven't really changed my life or my finances at all.

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

nah..its life

what are you going to do ..sit at home and rot?

ive actually been using public transit more..cause driving across the city for coop costs me way more then 2.50cnd

gas is $1.20/litre

which is more then what your paying/ litre

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Oh brother - you want to try gas prices in the UK. It hasn't been as cheap as $3.50 a gallon here in around 15 years. It's currently around three times that price here..... :mad:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I live in the city, don't own a car. Life has stayed the same. :)

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I live in the suburbs, no public transportation here, period. I can get my license in about a year, but why bother? Gas is too expensive for me to really do anything. I just try to ride my bike everywhere now...

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I take the train to work since a couple of weeks but not because of the price of gas. I broke my arm in a stupid ski accident so I cannot drive. The comfort and
    speed of this type of transport is making me considering to do so a little more in the future.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was pretty sure this was coming five years ago, which is when I got rid of my full-sized car and bought a subcompact. Then this past January I bought an electric vehicle for all of my around-town driving. If you don't make some changes, then they're just going to keep you paying and paying.

9. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Problem is not everyone lives near mass transit, or can use an electric car.
    I live in the country, have a 40 mile commute to work, and a 20-25 mile commute just to get to the supermarket.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As a volunteer driver, this is going to get pretty ugly.

Each increase causes some soul-searching among drivers.

Some charities better get ready to lease a fleet of vehicles, or start issuing gas cards.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like you, I'm finding things to cut down on.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I realize -- we do what we can. You seem to making consumption adjustments of your own. Another way of reducing consumption is by keeping your speed down. Nearly everybody can do that and save some money.

13. thecritix macrumors 6502

I cannot believe you are whinging about your gas prices..

I filled up my car today, and payed £1.12 a litre.
    For standard unleaded..

We're at around $8.40 for a US gallon..

It's disgusting, we should be taking action against OPEC to make them increase supply..
    They've got the world by the balls.

14. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Now be nice, Im not whining. Your in the UK I guess, so your used to it. Here in the U.S. the high cost of gas is, and the resulting increase in everything else is not being matched by comparable wage/cost of living increases. AS a result, people are having to make lifestyle adjustements.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am currently considering buying a 2-tonne electric van for my business. Costs $40,000 of your old money, though. However, free parking and no congestion charge in Central London should mean it pays for itself pretty quickly.
    modec.jpg

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I bought a Prius last fall -- good timing I guess. I work at home and my wife walks to work, so no serious changes. We still have to drive our kids around quite a bit, and I don't expect that's going to change. We'll just have to suck it up. Food prices are actually having a bigger impact -- nearly doubled in the last year. We're buying cheaper cuts of meat and drinking less wine.

17. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Last week was the first time I had bought fuel since October. $100 split between two stops at the pump. When my girlfriend moves to CO I will sell my personal pickup as I won't need it anymore.

The rest of the time I drive my company truck. They slowed us down from 65 to 62 to save fuel. I slowed down to 60 so if I need to I can mash the throttle down and pass someone.

I use the gravity accelerator as much as possible to get to 66 mph, 67 and the computer phones home to tattle on me. When ever I have a free scale to use I slide my trailer as far forward as I can without going over my weight limit on the front axle. This helps aerodynamics and saves some fuel.

I also strapped my mountain bike to the back of the truck so I can take it on short trips when needed.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I live in a town that gets a lot of snow, and right now I'm driving a Subaru that gets around 30-32mpg if you drive slowish. Not bad, though nothing outstanding. If I were in the market for a car I'd take a good long look at a diesel Golf.

Most people don't seem to have changed their lifestyle much though - big V8 pickups seem to be selling well as always. I find it curious that smaller diesels haven't made it into the pickup market yet. Sure, you can get a big V8 or V10 diesel, but what about a I-5 turbodiesel with similar torque to a gasoline V8 but much better economy?

I don't like the Prius much, I feel like it's a bit too showboaty - "Look at me, I'm saving the earth - what are you doing?", and a diesel can be just as economical on fuel. That said, I'd much rather see them than big SUVs.

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My life hasn't changed at all, since I have not ridden in my own car since January (traveling now). But come this tuesday when I get back... *shudders*

20. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

It really hasn't changed much for me, and it really won't until I'm out on my own. Luckily my car is payed for so I don't have to worry about car payments, and I get 28MPG so that really helps also. I have cut down a little bit on driving, but I'm not going to sit at my house and be bored all day. I plan on going to the beach still this summer and driving around with my friends.

For my parents though, it has changed. They have both cut down on driving a whole lot, since they both own trucks (well my mom technically has an SUV). They aren't going to trade in since my dad is a contractor and needs his truck, and my mom needs her Yukon for towing the boat and carrying around my brothers and myself. And no, you can't do all that with plenty of room in a crossover SUV or minivan.

21. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

as a student, high gas prices mean that I am not going out much, I am not going to the movies as much, I am not buying a 3 dollar hamburger at burger king, and I am at home or at starbucks with friends where we dont buy much.. It sucks!

22. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I buckled and bought a bike. Plan on riding it every day to school, although previously I just walked a lot. Our car mostly sits.

Since I'm moving to a Chicago suburb, the decentralization of everything leaves a car as a necessary backup. Living in the city center would make one unnecessary, but I won't be living in the heart of the city for another few years or more.

I wish the USA had some meaningful investment in public transportation, I would gladly double my commute if it meant I didn't have to drive, AND I could get some meaningful reading/work done on the way.

23. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I haven't changed anything to be honest. I only haveto fill up gas once every 2 weeks. Car gets great gas milage. And its only $30 a tank, so I'm not too worried.

24. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Ok, just to make it clear, i'm 20, so don't have to commute every day to work, except in the summer. Not much has changed so far for me, but it might. What it comes down to is that you just need to reorganize your spending. Fuel is really cheap in the states, so even though it is less, the rise is hurting us more, for we are approaching European standards for price, but haven't been there, so we feel it more. Also, Europe is about the size of the US in entirety, and lets face it, it is almost comprised of major cities, so Europeans drive much less than us, and have much more fuel efficient vehicles. If you can cut down on fuel usage, that is good, but if you sit around and complain, it will be worse. As far as the whole SUV vs small car debate goes, there is a time and place for SUV's and small cars alike. Small cars are best for single people traveling to work or so on. If you are going out to eat with a lot of friends and want to look presentable, get the Cayenne, Escalade, or whatever massive thing you use. Just don't be a soccer mom driving yourself around in a 7 person 6 litre vehicle.

PS: I'm not rich at all, drive an outback, get 26MPG, but if when i do have money, can't drive a Cayenne Turbo on occasion because all the oil is gone as a result of all the shipping and industry that can do stuff that will make a difference because they are major corporations and have money, I'm gonna be wicked PISSED!

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't drive so it hasn't though the bus fare to University has gone up from £2 last year to £2.50 at the moment.