How Much Is Enough

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Oct 30, 2010.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

Although I saw this story posted on MacRumors in a thread about two years ago, it didn't get any responses...so reposting it seems valid.

I was eating lunch at Jimmy John's today and read one of their signs on the wall. The first thing I thought of was a lot of the back and forth that happens here on PRSI about wealth and money and whatnot.

I thought it was quite fitting. I could almost pick a couple of posters here to be the two characters, but I think I'll hold off for now. :D

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There are many versions of that one: in Europe it's usually a Greek fisherman. :)

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I loves me the money. I could never be happy when poor, so this "story" (I guess it's like a proverb really) isn't always that accurate. :)

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I never heard the one about the Greek fisherman....I did hear this one about a Greek sheep herder at the edge of the cliff though, oh wait.:D

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Where is he getting the money to go out and drink with his friends?

6. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

It's always been a dream of mine to just drop out, travel and live a frugal and simple life, just like that fisherman. Then again, I don't think I have the guts to ever do it.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He probably sells some of his fish. ;) Just sayin'.

BTW- how do you like Kommunist Kanada? :)

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its great, just got Internet at my new apartment so thats why Ive been gone so long (didn't have time before to set it up). I should be popping in more often now when I have free time. Im really enjoying the multi-cultural atmosphere, not many other places you can walk up one street and hear 4-5 different languages on a normal day.

Driving on the other hand, drives me nuts. Pedestrians and bicyclers are the worst here.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sell your car and take the streetcar, bus or subway. They run pretty well in Toronto I've noticed.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He told you. He sells his fish. It provides enough money to care for his family and his leisure.

I've been lucky in being able to enjoy that lifestyle myself. I have a decent job, that I enjoy. I don't work past 5 p.m., because the most important part of my life is my wife and I want to spend time with her at home.

All you people "chasing the dream" can have it.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I work pretty far North so its about 4 subway changes and a bus to get to work vs. just hopping in my car. Although if I am doing normal activity downtown the TTC is amazing IMO. I live on a major street so I just hop out the front door and get on a streetcar and ride 3 minutes to Yonge Street. :D Love it.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah- I think you're fairly close to where Iscariot lives too. I'm going to try to get back up there soon- maybe this winter. There's no point going to Canada in the summer. Canadians know how to do winter really well. I love it.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What would be the point though. Are the Greeks like the Mexicans? Is there anyone more capitalist than a MBA Harvard educated American?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or more unhappy?

15. Scippy macrumors regular

Its an interesting message. But you can't forget that some people work hard because they enjoy what they are doing. The money is a bonus.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

what makes you think he's unhappy?

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Hey Acorn,

Congrats on the move there. It's one I considered with my wife, but Vancouver, BC.

As for the OP, I do live in that small seaside village, but in California but I did come to a crossroads when I had that MBA life changing moment. I am glad I took the more leisurely path in life and I feel sorry for my ex-millionaire friend who made $14 mil out of MBA school with his own high tech startup, lost it all and then some, regained great wealth within the decade, only to lose it all again. Too much stress for any one person, MBA or not. I do give him credit for actually working with numbers, employees, liability, volatility only some MBAs talk about in Harvard Case Studies in class. Personally, his experience would have killed me living the life of a high profile Silicon Valley mover and shaker and rising star CEO/founder.

People come here because it's like going back into another time. There is no train, subway, ugly skyscrapers but also no real nightclubs, pro sport stadiums, or concerts.

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I don't live in a small seaside village myself but the concept is the same as living anywhere enjoying what you do.

Right now I live in a small town along the Hudson River about 50 miles outside one of the busiest cities in the world which for the moment suits me. I make very little money but don't need much either since I have no income other than from the artwork I sell and some on line jobs I do.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Is there somebody more capitalist than a Harvard MBA?

Yeah, somebody who may have been smart enough for Harvard but didn't have the money for Harvard or even just two more years of university for an MBA, and will work twice as hard as that Harvard person in order to look better (like the young protege character from the movie "Wall Street").

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A strange question. :confused: The point of the story is unchanged whatever the nationality of the fisherman or his would-be investor.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What I got from the comment is that American MBAs can be so driven to make money they lose perspective. But at least that's the message I get from the original post.

I did meet people in MBA school who were so motivated that their tombstone caption would be their ultimate goal reading:

"And he worked very, very hard and made more money than you."
    :) *and he started college at 17, finished at 20, got his MBA at 21, got married and had a few kids by 24, got his dream car at 25, his dream house at 26, his tidy real estate empire at 27, wrote his will at 28 and got the best plot in the cemetery, saved the world like Bill Gates, and died before he was 40 so people could awe at how he lived a whole life in half the time.

I remember when Michael Dell was 39 years old and people marveled at how much he had accomplished. Personally I didn't care that he had made a fortune with cheap PCs that never compared to my Macs, and when I think of somebody who got a lot done in 40 years, I tend to think of someone like John Lennon.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

What happens when he gets sick?
    Does he pay $1700 health insurance premiums?

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Which person?

If it's the poor fisherman, he goes to ER, and if it's the rich MBA, he gets his limo driver to take him to the hospital he owns. I take it one of those two will find an amazing doctor who will make them live forever. :)

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It isn't about American MBAs or Harvard, it's about the irony. Any ambitious, driven capitalist will do, and any fisherman in a warm clime will do.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, being in Greece, he has free healthcare, like in any other civilised country.