How much is road tax?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Happybunny, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I would like to know how much is road tax in your country?

In the Netherlands the tax is by the weight of the vehicle.

2. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

Can this be thread be removed as it was posted in error.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Do you mean tolls? They differ in the USA but also are measured by weight class. A car will pay less then a truck but you can also pay less for car pooling or using cash-free lanes.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

registration fees?

Each state does it differently. NY does it on vehicle weight while CO does it on msrp of the vehicle along with the year. This is the owner tax. The road and bridge fees are constant per vehicle here in co I believe. (About 70 bucks)

Toll fees depend on weight and axle count

Gas tax is uniform per gallon

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

In the UK, my road tax for a 2 litre Hyundai Coupe (Tiberon) was £160 for a year.

There is also a congestion charge when driving into a certain area of central London, which I think is £7.00 a day probably more now).

Then, the bulk of the £1.38/litre petrol I was paying was Tax. Oh, and of course tolls for some bridges and tunnels.

I haven't started car ownership yet in the US, but from what I see, to register a Ford Focus SE from 2001 that we are being given as a gift (not currently registered and has no plates) it will be:

-$42.00 Registration for 2 years
    -$25.00 For Plates
    -$30.00 Vehicle use tax for Queens for 2 years
    -$50.00 Supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District Fee for 2 years

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In Missouri, when buying a car, you pay sales tax (depends on locality, 6 or 7% give or take of purchase price minus the value of your previous car that was traded in or written off). Every year you pay $25 for plates (I think it's more than $25 for trucks and SUVs), and personal property tax, which is dependent on the value of the car and your locality. Mine was around $450 in 2011 for a 2 year old Golf GTI. Thankfully Missouri doesn't have any tolls.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In New York State, you register your vehicle every other year and pay an $80 (IIRC) fee. Of course, you pay sales tax when you buy or lease the vehicle.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Toll roads very from state to state. Here in Il, the law makers pulled a derp and sold the rights to a company for practically pennies. On one highway its around 3.50 per car but another it's like 1.75, it's a bit cheaper if you buy the pass, about half.

On another note, Daily sold the rights to the parking meters in Chicago for a little over a billion dollars. While that was a nice chunk of change it didnt do much to help out the city in the long run. The rights were sold for a 75 yr period with a raise in prices each year. By 2013 it will cost an estimated 13 dollars an hour to park in some parts of the city.

Moral of the story, stay the **** out of Il if you dont want to get robbed.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why would Chicago sell the parking meters for 75 years, holy **** talk about long term contracts. One would think they could collect multiple times that amount in 75 years (at least if its anything like Toronto).

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Ya someone close to the deal said they could have gotten 4-5 billion more then they did. Even still would have made a lot more then that had they just kept them instead. The toll roads I believe are leased out for 99 yrs.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The UK system is ridiculous. For modern cars it is based on the CO2 the vehicle emits per kilometre of driving.

This means that someone who drives a car with high emissions (eg Range Rover) only a few miles a week pays more than someone who drives a small car (eg Vauxhall Corsa) hundreds or miles per week. Even though the small car driver will emit more overall, they pay less in tax.

It's not fair, and the costs of administering it must be very high (printing those little discs, posting them to everyone and then chasing those who don't pay).

I say it should be scrapped and a small amount added to the cost of fuel. Then, those who use more fuel will pay more, and all those who come to drive their cars/lorries in the UK from overseas will have to pay as well.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Motorcycle tolls are cheaper than cars in NY as well.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Outside of gasoline taxes, I'm not aware of any driving or road taxes at the federal level.

14. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

If Norwegian Shooter Was a Muslim, Would There Have Been Psychiatrists Involved

Oops, wrong place! Please delete!

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

for comparison sake i take the numbers for a 2 year old golf gti (211hp):

Car Tax(based on kW): 72€ per month = ~860€ per year
    Autobahn toll: ~75€ per year

and not to forget the 20% VAT and the additional (3-10% mostly )NOVA taxed based on fuel consumption when you buy the car

and then of course the fuel tax ;)

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So basically you are complaining about the admin cost for a pretty simple system and want a much more complex system instead thats "fairer" which by definition will be much more expensive to administrate.

There is also the issue that damage to roads increases significantly with weight (doubling the weight of the axle weight increases damage by 16x), so the significantly heavier range rover will actually do more damage to the roads unless it is only driven a tiny fraction of the amount.

If its really being driven much less than average you pay less insurance "tax" anyway, so your costs of motoring will be lower anyway.

17. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem