Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I was reading that the savings might not be worth it after paying the monthly installments or even paying up front for the Tmobile iphone if I want to upgrade every year which I plan on. Can someone break down that theory. I mean I thought Tmobile would be cheaper than vzw and att. If I went with Tmobile I would get unlimited or the 60 dollar plan.

Also I read vzw doesnt give subsidies anymore and after reading a post ATT still does but you pay 250 for an early upgrade. So with that because I want to upgrade every year which company would be more cost effective? With att I would get the 4gb plan.

Is ATT worth the extra money coverage wise?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
For me it comes out like this

I have 5 lines on Verizon (3 iPhone 5, 1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPhone 4), Share Everything with 8GB of data which comes out to about $285 per month after taxes/fees and my 20% discount.

$285*24 + ($300 for my iPhone 5 32GB, $400 for 2 iPhone 5 16GB, $100 for the 4S, $0 for the 4) comes out to $7,640 over 2 years

With T-Mobile I'm going to have unlimited data on 2 lines, 2.5GB on 1 line and 500MB on the other 2. Plus I'm going to be financing 3 iPhone 5's from T-Mobile for $20 per month so the bill will be around $227 after taxes/fees ($205 after 15% discount).

$205*24 + ($400 upfront for the 3 iPhone 5s) puts me at $5,320 over 2 years. I'm getting the Verizon iPhone 4S and 4 swapped for AT&T model ones that I will unlock though so on that front I'm bringing my own devices. Also plan to sell the 3 Verizon iPhone 5s to cover the T-Mobile upfront costs of all the phones and some of the Verizon ETFs.

So it will save me around $2,320 over 2 years. Of course your savings could vary depending on your data needs. Verizon has an awesome LTE network but 8GB shared between several lines is nothing for such a powerful device as the iPhone 5. They're a good deal if you hardly use your internet or are mostly on Wifi.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
If you want to upgrade every year, it probably doesn't save a whole lot because you have to pay off the full cost of the phone with T-mobile. T-mobile makes sense if you want to keep a phone for lie 3-4 years, because after 2 years, you stop paying the subsidy. T-mobile also makes sense if you bring your own phone or buy unlocked.

Otherwise, at&t and verizon is not so much more expensive if you don't mind dealing with contracts.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I would say if you want to "upgrade" every year, and if T-mobile really separates the subsidy with their new plans, then it may be worth it.

At one point I'd suck it up and buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple, or possibly one from T-mobile and 'finance' it through them. Then when you want to upgrade sell your current iPhone to fund most of the purchase price of the new one.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Ok so an unlocked phone from Apple can be used on any network? Lets say I wanted to try the iphone out on multiple networks could I do it with an unlocked Apple iphone?

Like I have an interest free Apple credit card right now so if I wanted I can buy the unlocked phone that way instead. I don't mind a contract I just want decent coverage and savings never hurt. I just wanted to do the break down before I bought one.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
T-Mobile makes a lot of sense for someone like you if you pay in full up front. Then sell your phone when you want to upgrade and you've got most of the money to get your new phone.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Ok so an unlocked phone from Apple can be used on any network? Lets say I wanted to try the iphone out on multiple networks could I do it with an unlocked Apple iphone?

Like I have an interest free Apple credit card right now so if I wanted I can buy the unlocked phone that way instead. I don't mind a contract I just want decent coverage and savings never hurt. I just wanted to do the break down before I bought one.

Trying out different networks with a single iPhone will work for AT&T and T-mobile, but Verizon & Sprint being CDMA based that won't be possible.

Definitely worth researching coverage, options & pricing for your area.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA

Make sure the unlocked iPhone 5 you are buying from Apple is indeed the one that fully supports TMobiles band, specifically you want to see the HSPA+ 1700/2100 band support on the box. Have been reading that some people were still receiving the "old" iPhone 5 even though they purchased it on or after April 12.

Tallguy93

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Make sure the unlocked iPhone 5 you are buying from Apple is indeed the one that fully supports TMobiles band, specifically you want to see the HSPA+ 1700/2100 band support on the box. Have been reading that some people were still receiving the "old" iPhone 5 even though they purchased it on or after April 12.

The best way to make sure you dont get the old iphone 5 is to just ask for the T-Mobile iPhone in store or select that option online. It will still be unlocked, but you will have peace of mind knowing that it is the "new" one that supports ALL GSM networks.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yes I bought my T-Mobile iPhone at Apple grand central station location. Sure enough I was handed a old model. I actually had to insist it was not a T-Mobile model, I had to explain to them how to tell the difference.

9th Wonder

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
Yes I bought my T-Mobile iPhone at Apple grand central station location. Sure enough I was handed a old model. I actually had to insist it was not a T-Mobile model, I had to explain to them how to tell the difference.

What exactly are the differences, may I ask? I am planning to buy a T-mobile iPhone 5 via the Apple store today ...

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
So it would be vice versa, getting the Tmobile iphone with the appropriate band would work for ATT as well?

What I am thinking about doing is trying Tmobile's service first and if it's not great, then I will get ATT. Does anyone know what is the return policy for Tmobile? I know most carriers offer a 14 return policy, and if returned within like three days (with Sprint,) you get your activation fee refunded as well. I also heard companies like Best Buy, and usually the carriers would charge a restocking fee if bought directly from the carrier.

----------

Would the average person know the difference? Is it a speed thing/reception thing. Like if I wasn't on Macrumors and I got the wrong phone, would I be able to notice anything?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
What exactly are the differences, may I ask? I am planning to buy a T-mobile iPhone 5 via the Apple store today ...
It's funny I just read the back of the box were it supports 1700/2100

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
So it would be vice versa, getting the Tmobile iphone with the appropriate band would work for ATT as well?

What I am thinking about doing is trying Tmobile's service first and if it's not great, then I will get ATT. Does anyone know what is the return policy for Tmobile? I know most carriers offer a 14 return policy, and if returned within like three days (with Sprint,) you get your activation fee refunded as well. I also heard companies like Best Buy, and usually the carriers would charge a restocking fee if bought directly from the carrier.

----------

Would the average person know the difference? Is it a speed thing/reception thing. Like if I wasn't on Macrumors and I got the wrong phone, would I be able to notice anything?
If u buy at apple it's 30 days

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW

I just bought one from T-mobile, you have 14days for their return policy and $50 restocking fee.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I just bought one from T-mobile, you have 14days for their return policy and $50 restocking fee.

Jesus, that fee is pretty hefty. I was reading from another thread and I am unclear.
-If I get an iphone from Apple unlocked I would have to pay upfront or use my barclay apple credit card.
-If I bought the Tmobile iphone from Apple, I can still finance? Would it be Tmobiles financing or the same barclay credit card situation?

The thread also mentioned when you buy it from Tmobile and pay it off you have to fax over some information for it to be truly unlocked.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Jesus, that fee is pretty hefty. I was reading from another thread and I am unclear.
-If I get an iphone from Apple unlocked I would have to pay upfront or use my barclay apple credit card.
-If I bought the Tmobile iphone from Apple, I can still finance? Would it be Tmobiles financing or the same barclay credit card situation?

The thread also mentioned when you buy it from Tmobile and pay it off you have to fax over some information for it to be truly unlocked.

If you get it from Apple your only option for financing is by using the Barclay Apple Credit Card. Their credit requirements are likely a little more strict than T-Mobile due to it being an actual credit card. Might not be an option if your credit is less than ideal.

Make sure that when you buy it from Apple unlocked you check the back of the box to make sure that it's the new version released that supports T-Mobile. I bought one earlier today and forgot to look at the supported bands on the back of the box and noticed a lot of Edge when I put in my sim card. Gotta go exchange it tomorrow for the proper version.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
If you get it from Apple your only option for financing is by using the Barclay Apple Credit Card. Their credit requirements are likely a little more strict than T-Mobile due to it being an actual credit card. Might not be an option if your credit is less than ideal.

Make sure that when you buy it from Apple unlocked you check the back of the box to make sure that it's the new version released that supports T-Mobile. I bought one earlier today and forgot to look at the supported bands on the back of the box and noticed a lot of Edge when I put in my sim card. Gotta go exchange it tomorrow for the proper version.

Keep me updated on what happens tomorrow. I currently have an apple card so I'm mulling it over. Just paid my cellphone bill soIhave a month to decipher, and lurk on the forums to see how the 5 is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.