How much longer could I extend the life of my 2012 cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BallparkDreamer, Jun 28, 2016.

1. BallparkDreamer macrumors regular

If I were to put in 8 GB of RAM, an SSD, and a new battery would I be able to get a couple more years out of it? Seems like it'd cost around $300 or so total, which is obviously much less than just getting a new laptop. What do you think?

2. squarebreathing macrumors member

squarebreathing

What are you trying to do right now that you can't do with the hardware as it is? I understand the battery may need replacing as it is 4 years old, but what do you need the upgraded ram and SSD for? Since it's a 15 inch, I would say that $300 or less would be a worthwhile investment as a replacement Retina new 15 inch model is so expensive.

3. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

Eventually I'll be "downgrading" to a 13 inch, but either way they are pricey. In regards to installing an SSD...from what I've seen they seem to speed up your laptop quite a bit. I guess I'm just wondering if it'd allow me to get at least two years or more out of my laptop, else I'll probably just keep savings up for a new laptop.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Never mind 2 more years, with the additional RAM and an SSD it would outperform itself when new. My MBP (16GB/1TB SSD+1TB HDD), is now 5yrs old and has a much faster user experience than when new with its standard 320GB HDD and 4GB RAM.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If it does what you need then yes of course it will last years more without any upgrades. If you want to speed it up an SSD will make everything more snappy apps load quicker etc so it will feel a lot faster for everyday use.

As for ram, if you already have 8gb then I would give the SSD a good run before worrying about it most general users need no more than 8gb.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How do you use the computer?

Office apps, even any design apps can run fine on the computer. Computing the mass of the universe, well that might a little out of the league for that computer ;)

Seriously, my 2012 MBP (retina version), is going strong and I can see it handling everything I throw at it. I'd say the moment it cannot run what you want to use, or run it adequately, i.e., too slow, is the time you should consider replacing it.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Oh yes, you can easily get several more years out of it. I have the same cMBP and it has 16GB of RAM and an SSD in it. It runs great and does everything I need it to do, including running Windows in a virtual machine.

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I have 8 GB of RAM and an SSD in my early 2011 15" MBP, and I feel like it could last until at least 2020! If the GPU doesn't go out on me... I'll need to replace the battery soon, though. Approaching 1000 cycles and around 75% of original capacity.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP:
    You could easily get at least 2 more years from it.
    Or 3, or 4.

I bought a MacBook Pro 13" in April of 2010, and put an SSD into it about 3 years ago. Still using the original RAM (4gb).

It still runs fine for my purposes.
    Boots in about SIX seconds flat. (Still running 10.6.8 on it!)

If you don't need "the latest and greatest", put an SSD into it first.
    That will make the greatest improvement.
    I would say, only add RAM if you start bumping up against a "RAM ceiling" ....

10. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

11. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I've got a 512gb SSD and 16gb of ram in my 2012 and it easily hangs with the younger MBPs.

12. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

I've got a 1 TB SSD, 16GB RAM in my 2012 non Retina and it kicks major butt. This thing is super fast. I'm expecting 5 more years easily.

Gosh golly its only a few years old, Why replace it ? :cool:

13. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

Was mainly considering it for something more portable, but decided to go ahead and order the SSD! Arriving Saturday :D

14. radus macrumors 6502

this week my wife's maxed out rMBA 15" died just a bit less then a year after the end of the 3 year apple care ... so don't expect to much time for your 2012 product

15. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I think you could get years more out of it. Its still on sale and its far more powerful than machines such as the 12 inch Retina Macbook (Introduced only last year). I bought mine new in July 2015, as Apple replaced my original non retina pro with a retina pro which I hated, so yeah :p
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2016 ---
    I think you'll be happy. I put an SSD in mine as soon as I bought it, and its really fast!

16. ajpuciat macrumors member

mine took a **** about two weeks ago - originally picked up a 15" pro but returned it for an m5 rMB and couldn't be happier

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have a 2009 13" MBP. Bumped the memory to 8GB and added a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD and turned those two into a fusion drive. It is still getting the job done for me so why get a new machine. When that 2009 does give up the ghost I can remove both the HDD and SSD and put them to other uses. No need for you to buy a new machine. Upgrade your 2012.

18. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, I'll be updating it! I realized my iPad can pretty much do anything I'd need it to on the go as well. Should be good for the next few years!

19. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Yeah this is what my setup is - if I really need probability I take my iPad :)

20. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. This thing flies! :D It's like I have a new computer.