How much longer has the iPhone 4 got in it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JamerTheProgram, Sep 15, 2012.

1. JamerTheProgram macrumors member

How much longer has the iPhone 4 got in it? Another 2 years doing the latest OS and apps? How long do you think it would last general use wise?
    Thanks!

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I think it'd last as long as one needs it to. I just got my 2nd iPhone 4 (work phone) as the power button on my original quit working. It'll last me at least another 2 years if nothing breaks.

3. JamerTheProgram thread starter macrumors member

So it would be worth buying an iPhone 4 for £200?
    Sounds promising!

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

OS wise, I would say it will definitely be supported over the next year, and probably into the year following that with IOS7, though it probably won't get all of that version's features.

5. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

iPhone 4 is already dying out. Many cool features of IOS6 do not work such as turn by turn directions, still no siri, etc.

6. volzalum macrumors member

Turn by turn directions does work on the 4, at least in my iOS 6 beta

7. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

According to Apple it does not support it...you can get directions like the old Maps, but not the GPS like turn by turn navigation.

9. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

As long as it can still do the things that you want it to, take care of it and it will still be good for another 2 years. Don't be bothered by the lack of new features if the current available features works out for your daily needs :)

10. hobx macrumors regular

I will be getting the out of warranty replacement and the passing it on to my mum when I get my iPhone 5. I was feeling guilty about until I thought about how stupid that is.

It's still a fantastic phone and iOS 6 has given it a speed boost.

It's all relative. And its only because we've had the 4s and now the 5 which makes it suddenly unfit for purpose.

11. x&y macrumors member

Another 18 months to 2 years, if not longer.

The iPhone 4 is still a great phone.

12. rsnc macrumors regular

my personal iphone 4 is on its last legs...

my home button needs a good 4-5 presses and sometimes still wont work..it feels mushy.
    (otherwise the phone looks brand new!..i need to replace the button so i can sell it..)

13. KimMelton661 macrumors 6502

I would assume it still has a while to go. They were still including the 3GS in all of the updates not too long ago weren't they?

14. 617aircav Suspended

No way. I bought one yesterday for $120 off CL. Will be unlocking it and sending it to the phillipines.

15. armyxrays macrumors member

armyxrays

If it makes any difference, iOS 6 will install on a 3GS. I'd say the 4 has a few years left in it (2 or 3 tops)

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

I’m using iOS 6 GM and I can confirm that it does NOT work. Additionally, Apple said it wouldn’t support it. Not sure what you’re talking about. Did you maybe forget an “S”?

17. d.steve macrumors regular

My guess is one major release after they stop selling it. iPhone 3GS supports IOS 6 because they've been selling it until right before IOS 6 is out. I doubt it'll support IOS 7.

I suspect at next year's model release, they'll remove the iPhone 4 from sale, support IOS 7 on it, and then it's end of line.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If history is any guide, iOS 7 will be the last supported OS. Keep in mind Apple really strips down features for the least common denominator phone (see feature set for 3GS on iOS 6). So the iPhone 4 should be solid for at least another 2.5 to 3 years. At some point devs will require iOS 8 and then it's time to get a new phone for sure.

19. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I'd say 2 years, which is perfect for when I'm upgrading from my iPhone 4 to whatever it is then. (Most likely iPhone 6)

20. volzalum macrumors member

Well it does work on mine. The directions automatically switch to the next one father reaching each point. The 4 does not have voice directions though, the text on the screen does change automatically though.

----------

I am using a 4 not a 4s and it does work as described in my other reply.

21. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Then, that's not turn-by-turn. It's just the old style directions that are in every previous iOS

22. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

All of the iPhone 4 work the way you describe.
    Some call this turn by turn and some don't.
    I personally agree with you.
    It's not voice guided, obviously, but it is turn by turn.
    It also doesn't reroute if you go off course but as long as you stay on the original route it's almost identical to the navigation on a silenced 4S.

----------

The directions in Google Maps did not auto-advance according to your GPS position. You had to manually advance the screen. Not the same at all as far as I'm concerned.

23. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Go into an Apple store and tell them what's going on and request that they clean it. It will work like a charm after that; not button replace necessary. My iPhone 4 had that problem, although I couldn't see any dust. It slips between the crack and gets all over the electrical contacts.

24. irDigital0l Guest

Even if your out of warranty?

Purchased my iPhone 4 as soon as it launched on Verizon back in Feb 2011.

So my warranty ended in Feb 2012 this year.

My home buttons is gotten worse in previous weeks. Sometimes it takes like 5-8 tries, sometimes it turns on multitasking with 1 click and 2 clicks doesn't do anything, sometimes it takes 2 times to go to the homescreen, and sometimes it works fine.

Worried that if I take it to the Apple Store they'll think I'm just faking it because I'd say about 50/50 the home button works. I doubt I could actually prove to them it takes like 6 tries to work sometimes because as I said...its pretty random.

25. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Yeah, I ordered mine at the very same time you did, and just went in a couple of months ago. I had the same problem (random, too), and they fixed it within minutes. It took me a couple of tries to prove it wasn't working, but they were going to clean it anyway. I'd say it's worth a shot.