How much LTE data used with turn by turn GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wmitch, Sep 28, 2012.

1. wmitch macrumors regular

So has anyone calculated the rate that the iPhone uses data for navigation?
    Would be nice to know before I start using it frequently.
    If it is data intensive, is there a recommended app that would provide offline turn by turn or would that require too much space on my 16gb?

2. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Navigon is a great offline app. It uses like 200MB for the base files + 100MB / state.

3. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

Is this the right app? $40 and it only has 2.5 stars?

Attached Files:

4. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I used turn by turn on 3G and LTE this weekend. It was mostly 3G because of where I was. Any way I don't know specifically how much it used but after checking our data usage from the weekend it seemed insignificant. That was for 6hrs of total driving.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's no set rate. It depends on your trip and the amount of data needed to cover your trip at the rate you're traveling and the areas you're traveling in. If you want an answer that matches your usage then monitor your usage (same as any question regarding usage).

Subjective matter. Navigon is suggested above. TomTom is also popular. IIRC there are others with locally stored map data as well.

Yup. Have you read the reviews? Always consider the source.

6. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the impression that there should be an average per hour that the Nav would draw. Obviously it would vary by trip but a per hour rate would have been helpful.

If the App Store ratings are inaccurate, I would love to hear personal experiences with the Nav apps specifically since the iPhone 5 updates. That would by far be the most expensive app on my phone so I want to make sure it's worth it.