How much MORE will I use on LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason2811, Oct 11, 2012.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I currently use 1GB per month on 3G with Verizon. If I were to switch to an iPhone 5 with LTE, how much is my data likely to increase if I keep the same data habits?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

the only thing that will really change your data consumption will be videos playing back in higher quality. All else equal....1gb on 3G is still 1gb on LTE. Maybe add an extra 200 mbs in there for higher quality videos, but seeing how little data you use that is a high estimate.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

if you order food and it comes faster, do you eat more food?

i don't get the whole "I am going to use so much more on LTE!" thing. I mean, at first you might but in general, you are just getting the content you want at a faster speed so if anything, you are saving some time. Obviously, content that streams at a higher bitrate because you are on LTE will make a difference but not enough to go out and double your data rate plans.

4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some people in other threads say they have used 1GB in a week when they previously used to use 250mb.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You'll turn wifi off more often because the 4G is faster than your regular DSL.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think that has a lot to do with the data being reported wrong and they maybe stream a lot of videos. on 3G they were being played on a lower resolution, now they are being played in 720p thus using more data.

7. cababah macrumors 68000

I imagine that is because of the novelty of being new to LTE and seeing those speeds brings out the "Wow, I just want to go to every website possible to see how fast it loads" effect.

This will probably wear off and people will go back to normal data use once the novelty effect dwindles.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

LTE won't increase your usage despite the meme that keeps getting parroted. Your usage is your usage. If you use more data then you use more data. Only you can answer your question -- same as any other question on usage.

If you're worried about it then keep an eye on your usage and adjust as needed.

If that's the case then they don't have the same usage habits by definition.

9. hkfan24 macrumors regular

It's really tough to say. Factor in, like most things whenever you get something new and improved you end up using more and doing more than you realize. Once you start using LTE and realizing your searches, browzing, and streaming load faster, it's tempting to browse even more sites at half the load time and eventually making you lose track of how much data you're actually using.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I wish somebody does a study and come up with a number.

My old laptop was so slow, I would not watch video on it, it was unusable. It's OK I said, I tend to read more than I watch. But now that I got a speedy laptop, I click the video links with aplomb! Oh the shame.

11. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

It depends on if you change your usage habits. My habits have not changed as of yet, thus my data consumption is exactly as it was on 3G. It really just depends on how you use it. If you're using 1GB or less a month then you probably won't use much more then that because you're probably not streaming stuff all day.

12. Qfic macrumors member

Since release I've used 1.5 gb. On my 4s I averaged about 1.5 gb/month. So.. from my experience, not much more? The only issue is that because the connection is so much quicker developers are incorporating more connectivity into their apps.. but still, I'd imagine your usage won't change much. :)

13. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Well it's a lot faster so if you browse on your work commute, for example, you'll use more data just because everything loads quicker, and less waiting on often-congested networks.

14. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

your gonna use more, period.

most people give up surfing on a 3G device cuz its so slow compared to LTE.

with LTE, you zip around and watch vids, and check full websites, emails, with streaming music going on in the background.

its like comparing a car to a Concorde, its a world of difference.

15. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

In a simpler language, it's kind of like you asking: "I currently drive 20 miles to work in my Corolla. If I were to get a Lamborghini, how much would my driving distance increase if I continue just driving to work?"

The answer: "It's the same distance!"

16. cdebnil macrumors regular

Not really the correct answer...Lets change it to 200 miles to work....If you were in a lambo, you could get there in say a quarter of the time than with the corolla.....with the additional time, you would end up driving more because you now have time to drive to your multiple gf or bf homes (who are attracted to you due to the lambo), watch a ball game from club seats, have a couple of foreign beers and expensive wines, hangout with friends who want a ride in the lambo, etc....So distance will increase because you have more time to do other things because you can drive faster.....In other words, with LTE, you can access information faster, do more in less time...thus using more data....you can also now do things like stream spotify music with the highest quality, view netflix movies in HD and not SD, etc.

For me, I'm now at 7 gb for the month with 10 days remaining in my billing cycle in a Sprint LTE city....the highest i ever went with my iphone 4 on att was 3 gb.

17. 8pril macrumors member

I tailor my mobile phone activities to whatever it's capable of. Verizon 3G speeds are slow where I live. Constantly buffering Youtube videos.

Last month I had a little over a gig of usage (switched back to an iPhone 4) because I downloaded apps and checked the scrapbooking buy/sell Facebook group a lot.

Now that I have unlimited LTE I use my iPhone differently. If I didn't have unlimited I would probably keep tabs on my usage and have the same habits as when I had unlimited 3G.

Right now I'm up to 3.2 GB with 12 more days left on my cycle.

18. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

OP said "keeping the same habits"...so the distance is the same!

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Who has DSL?

20. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I used about 300 MB a month before LTE. I used 200 MB in three weeks with LTE. For me, no difference.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

People who don't have cable.

22. cdebnil macrumors regular

Who would keep the same driving habits for a Corolla vs a Lambo?

23. dacapo macrumors 6502

I think we can all agree though that we won't be using less on LTE.

So it's either the same or greater.

In my view, typical usage will probably be a bit greater, esp. if you do any streaming.

24. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I do it's the only option for me 1.5 meg and that might go away NOV 7th with AT&T's anouchment