How much of a change are we expecting with the new imac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fatandconfused, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fatandconfused, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

fatandconfused macrumors newbie

Been saving up for an imac for a little while now, in the next coupple of days i should have enough to buy one, however i've seen on here that there's a new one imminent.

How much different are we expecting the new one to be? and how long is it usually before new ones start appearing on the refurb page?

I mainly use my computer for surfing, music mainly listening, occasional making with fl studio, word processing and intermediate excel usage, VBA and basic macros etc.

Am i going to be just as happy with a July 2010 model or should i hang on the extra month or two for extra futureproofing.

Any opinions?

Thanks

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it should have sandy bridge and light peak/thunderbolt.

3. fatandconfused thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, what does this ultimately mean for the user?

And what were the changes between the late 2009 imac and the july 2010 imac?

4. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

If the new Sandy Bridge MBPs are any indication ( and there is no reason to believe otherwise ), new iMacs will be any where from 50 to 100% faster depending on app usage.

5. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

As a developer I'm always looking for a faster machine, so I'm waiting for the next rev of the iMac. However, the usage mentioned by the OP would easily be handled by the current crop of iMacs.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It'll have a jewel-encrusted bezel and a polished chrome vanadium keyboard. The keys themselves will be cast from synthetic ivory.

It will be available with a new accessory, the iPopper, which will pop a bag of popcorn for you, but only in HFS+ format.

In lieu of speakers, a pack of insectivorous gnomes will simply sing the system sounds to you.

Instead of a mouse or trackpad, you'll simply point your finger at the screen (without touching it, mind you) and say, "There." To right-click, you'll say, "Right there."

(or, it could just be a spec bump, like the MBP's)

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'll take two! :D

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I've also heard that you can kill an app by saying "Whoa whoa whoa." And by popular demand, you can get rid of the spinning beach ball of death by screaming "Are you ****ing kidding me!?" and shaking the keyboard, which now has an accelerometer. Again, these are just the rumors I'm hearing though.

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I'd say 0 to 100% faster depending on App usage.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Best post I've read in a long time. Thank you, sir. *bow* :D

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If I have seen further, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.