How much of a difference does the 7200 RPM drive vs a 5400 RPM Drive make?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Winter Charm, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I was looking at the macbook and macbook pro @ apple.com and i was wondering how much of a difference in boot time and speed the 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM Drives make...

If any of you that own a macbook in which you replaced your 5400 RPM drive with a 7200 RPM drive could tell me how much it really helped... i would appreciate it :D

Thank you!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A noticeable improvement in both bootup and response time. My battery life increased by about 10%.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Compared to the 5400RPM drive, the 7200RPM of the same capacity:
    • Faster read/write
    • Lower access times
    • Lower seek times
    • More read/write cache
    • Higher overall performance

4. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I know that it will be faster and everything... what i really want to know if it was worth the money and time and trouble it took to install it...

like how much of a performance increase in boot time, and general system performance?? 5%??? 10%??

5. w00tini macrumors 6502a

PC convert question...

The MacBook is only my second Mac so I'm not totally sure how this works. If I install a new, formatted 7200 RPM drive, can I simply install OS X and then run a Timemachine backup and get all of my programs and settings? Will Timemachine save my MS Office 2008 and other 3rd party apps when xfering to a new HD?

Thanks in advance for any comments

6. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

The speed also depends on the particular hard drive brand & model. Not all 7200rpm drives are the same speed, so check reviews and benchmarks before you upgrade to make sure it will be worth it.

7. mcruzader macrumors regular

If you are simply installing the hard drive in the same computer, just Carbon Copy it. If it is on another computer, (you want to transfer the data to the new one) yes time machine will work.