How much of an improvement is there fromt the iphone 3gs to the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAneil808, Oct 12, 2012.

1. DAneil808 macrumors member

I currently have a 3gs i bought in late 2009. I was planning on getting the 4s but i felt like i could get another year out of my phone and save money. My 3gs has felt pretty sluggish from the past year and the battery is horrible now. Also, i havent downloaded any apps in the past 6 months because of the slow performance and harsh battery drain. What i want to know is if there is a big jump from the 3gs to the 5. Im kinda bored of ios right now but my friend says the speed difference is worth it. did anyone here go from a 3gs to a 5?

2. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I have 3gs and iPhone 4.

That's like comparing mazda and mercedes.
    I'm sure you will enjoy the iphone 5/4S

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

the 3gs is a 3 and a half year old phone.
    the performance differences are huge. The screen difference is huge.
    you cant really compare that old of technology with new...

4. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

3GS to 5 - wow, thats a massive difference. The 5 is way faster, smoother screen, higher res screen (Believe me you will notice it), more space (Possibly), smoother games videos and apps on the screen.

I loved my 3G and 3GS as they were great phones at the time , but looking at them now they were klunky and slow compared to the iPhone 5.... gotta love progress

5. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Huuuuuuuuuuuuge. Upgrade immediately. I just sold my 4s and had to drop back to my 3gs, and running iOS6 is incredibly painful.

My 4s would open apps in around 1-2 seconds, while my 3gs can take somewhere around 10.

Also, you're technically not saving that much money. Any time you are under contract and they offer you the subsidy you should take it. Think of it this way: If you upgraded to the 4s a year ago, you would have a phone that went from $650 in value to $400 or so in value if you sold in a timely fashion.

So, while you paid $200 up front to AT&T/Verizon/etc, you receive a $650 phone. You're already paying for your cell service anyway, so they are effectively giving you a free $450. You would then be able to sell your phone for $400 1 year later (which cost you $200) = $200 profit over the course of one year. (Or 2 years later for probably $150-$200 for about breakeven).

Apple products really hold their value well, so you should try to take advantage of every subsidy opportunity you get.

6. children macrumors regular

go to a telco and decide for yourself, the difference is huge

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

8. DAneil808 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry i worded it wrong. I meant i chose to save money last year by just skipping the 4s and using the 3gs for another year. but thanks guys ill probably upgrade next month or so. Im pretty sure its all sold out where i live currently

9. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

My wife and I upgraded from 3gs to 5 this week. We ordered in September, and got them about 2 weeks later. It's a noticeable upgrade in every way. The screen is bigger and better, it's faster and lighter.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Forget the speed difference, the difference in the screen will be insane. 3GS -> 4 was huge because of retina + IPS. With the 5 it is now larger and has better color accuracy.

Cameras are so much better - HD video recording vs VGA, 8MP versus 3 plus backlit CMOS versus whatever the 3GS used to have. Plus a front facing camera.

Data speeds will be drastically better, assuming you have LTE in your area. If you are on AT&T and don't have LTE you may still have HSPA+ which will still be faster than the 3GS can manage.

And then there is the performance. 4x as much RAM and 2 CPU generations ahead.

11. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I didn't go straight from the 4 to my 5, using an Android phone for 6 weeks in between.

Other than being a little smoother in normal use, I'm not sure that I've noticed a big jump in the new phone. Just that I like IOS much better than Android Jelly Bean. Comfortable for me after nearly 4 years now.

I just know that, going back to the 3G from the 4 was almost unusable for my usage. The 3GS, which I skipped, was a significant performance improvement from the 3G. The 4 had the better display.

Probably the biggest improvement for me with the 5 is the proximity sensor. No problems with the 5 on it.

12. lovetamarav macrumors regular

It's a major difference. I went from the iPhone 4 to the 5 and noticed a huge difference. I can imagine it would be very significant between the 3GS and the 5.

13. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

I found my 5 years old blackberry inside of my desk, it looks like useless joke and plastic with buttons and trackball and I can't believe I was ever using this things ;) 3g would cause me same effect if I would use it now after years with 4, 4s, 5. It is made by Apple, that is only thing which is same to 5 ...:)

14. dba415 macrumors 6502

Well we'll worth it. The 3GS is very slow and outdated in every single way