How much of the battery life increase is due to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flux73, Oct 23, 2013.

1. flux73 macrumors 65816

I'm considering buying one of the new 13" rMBP's, but I'm wondering about the battery life improvement claim. They say that the battery life went from 7 to 9 hours, but I would expect that the previous 2012 13" rMBP's battery life would increase by at least an hour if it were upgraded to Mavericks. Yes/no/maybe?

I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the new one or if I should just get a better spec'd refurbed 2012 model for less. Thanks for any insights.

2. Spudhead macrumors member

My late 2011 MBP has seen a reduction in battery life since I upgraded to Mavericks last night, notably worse.

Hopefully its just a bug that gets ironed out.

3. flux73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just curious what apps you're using? I have a 2010 MBA and I stopped using Chrome and started browsing with the new Safari. I don't recall the fan ever coming on while I browsed and I got at LEAST an extra hour of usage. I was pretty pleased, esp considering I had a Flash blocker in Chrome, but didn't have one in Safari. Pleased enough that it lead me to consider one of the new MBP's.

Have you run Activity Monitor yet to see what might be using up the CPU?

4. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I have a 2010 macbook pro 15".. out of curiosity do you think it would be time to replace the battery with a new one by now?

5. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I have noticed a battery decrease with my 13 inch early 2013 retina, feel like I've lost at least an hour. I think it will get better with a couple restarts.

It might also be due to me using adobe reader for my pdfs since yesterday. I haven't done much investigating to be perfectly honest.

6. prestong macrumors member

You guys should not use chrome, if you have dual graphics cards it enabled the one that sucks the power. Adobe PDF probably does the same thing :)

7. Spudhead macrumors member

I just had safari open + mail. That was it, thats all I ever really use on a general day to day basis. But I got around 4 hours out of a full charge, I'll keep an eye on iStat Pro.

Yeah hopefully it's just a simple software glitch for some people, Im sure apple will sort it out with 10.9.1

Does kinda suck having crappy battery though, second charge since installing Mavericks already but it does seem to be lasting a little longer this time.

8. flux73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I read some post that speculated that the first several hours of running it may drain the battery faster because Spotlight is re-indexing the drive? Maybe Mavericks is doing something else under the hood when you first install?

In my case, I left my house after it installed so I didn't get back to my computer until at least 4 hours later, which is when I unplugged it and tried using it for a bit. And maybe that's why I got longer battery life? It sounded like a reasonable theory. Then again, like I said, I stopped using Chrome. If it's the battery hog people are saying, maybe I just had a crappy baseline for comparison.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You could get a 2012 model with a bigger SSD, but it's still going to be stuck with the HD 4000 graphics. I think that you should really aim for the Haswell models just to get the improved graphics performance, especially considering the resolution of the display.

10. tmiw macrumors 68000

I think it only does that on the 2010 15".