How much of the SSD storage is used on a brand new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BC-2, Aug 14, 2012.

1. BC-2, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

I just got my rMBP yesterday and I'm very happy with it so far. I have the 256GB HD and when I was looking at the details, there are about 20GB of storage under "other" being used. What is in there and is this normal?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

other is system files, sleep images(matches the ammount of RAM you have)time machine snapshots

there is a big thread im sure someone will direct you too tahts gives a full on breakdown but thats a fast answer

3. simsaladimbamba

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

OS X also comes with all languages preinstalled. If you're only ever going to use it in English, you can free up some space by deleting all other languages with Monolingual.

[​IMG]

5. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

Thank you for the replys. I suspected it was misc things like system files and such. So for a brand new Retina with 16gb ram, does around 20gb of "other" sound about right? I was just surprised that these misc files would be this large.

6. simsaladimbamba

No.
    What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb
    To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

7. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

Thank you, changed the title.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

oh ya thats normal

unless im off on whats in other

osx can be about 6GB and the sleep images from the RAM since you have 16GB can range as high as 16GB

9. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

10. defektion macrumors regular

After installing my apps, emails, and other random things i've used up about 46Gb's.

[​IMG]

My Virtual Machines are running off my USB 3.0 WD My Passport and runs REALLY well and quick, so I don't have to put them in my SSD, this saved me about 25Gbs.

Movies, Music are on my NAS at home

11. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

That would be 22GB and that's actually almost exactly the size of my "other" storage.

----------

Ok, so you're using a similar amount as well so perhaps it's not unusual.

On a different note, all you guys here on Mac Rumours are great. I've been lurking even before ordering my rMBP and I've found a great deal of positive and helpful information which supported my decision to buy my first Mac. Thanks everyone!

12. defektion macrumors regular

You're going to love your rMBP :) I was hesitant at first because of the issues that came up but I haven't ran into anything major other than a few minor bugs. Logging into a black screen if you're using resolution other than "Best for Retina", scroll lag issues. Hopefully the next update for ML will address or at least alleviate these issues.

13. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

I was also hesitant after reading some of the issues people were having but the information I found on this forum helped me make my choice to buy and I already love it.

The display is truly amazing, colors and clarity are unmatched. It is a little on the purple side (blues look a little purple) but not terrible. That's really the only less than perfect thing I can come up with at this moment.

14. simsaladimbamba

You could change the colour profile or make your own.

15. BC-2 thread starter macrumors member

BC-2

Very cool, I'll play around with this. Thanks!