How much paid vacation do you get?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by osx11, Jan 22, 2014.

?

How many weeks of paid vacation do you get?

1. Less than 1 week

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. ~ 2 weeks

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. ~ 3 weeks

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. ~ 4 weeks

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. ~ 5 weeks

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. ~ 6 weeks

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. ~ 7 weeks

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. More than 7 weeks

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm self employed so NONE! Paid vacation anyway.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Zero...zilch...nada...rien...gornisht...

Also no paid sick days...personal days...holidays...or any other days when I don't work.

6. osx11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

not sure if serious. But, unfortunately, I think you are. :(

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm a freelancer, so none really. But, I've only worked nine days of the last two months…so it's like a really long vacation…I just don't get paid for it.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Actually, he is being very serious. It is pretty common for the working class in America to get no paid days off, and get fired if they request days off for any reason.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes...serious.

If I don't see patients, I don't get paid...fee for service.

Great system...right?

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'Vacation'? I'm an academic. LOL. i don't even know how much I can take, because I hardly ever do.

12. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

My company:

< 5 years = 2 weeks (you get 2 weeks the day you start)
    5 years = 3 weeks
    15 years = 4 weeks
    20 years = 5 weeks
    25 years = 6 weeks

Just hit the 4 week (15 year) level last year.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

15 days paid vacation, plus 8 personal days which, for all intents and purposes, are the exact same thing as paid vacation, only difference being they don't pay those out if I leave the company. So, 23 days a year total, in addition to paid holidays (I think 6?)

14. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Self-employed. No such thing as a "paid" vacation.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

17 vacation days of my choosing + 8 holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving, which is nice)

Plus I think 5 "official" sick days. In dunno, people around here don't keep very good track, I'm sure I could be "sick" 10 days a year and no one would notice/care.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Starting off is two weeks. You can build it up from there to a total of 480 hours. You can go over that amount each year, but you can't carry over anything above 480. Depending on your unit you will either be paid for the excess vacation or you will have to use it.

We also get holiday time if you work a holiday. We also have three flavors of sick time.

Full sick pay
    65% and
    50% sick pay based on how much time you use.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That used to be a paid holiday for us, but they took that away and gave us an extra personal day instead. I appreciate the additional flexibility, but I think everybody still takes that day off here, myself included.

----------

Forgot to mention I have no set number of sick days, I think it's pretty much unlimited, but there's probably a number where you'd start to be asked for a doctor's note or go on medical leave. Never had enough sick days in a row to have to worry about that. Amazingly, the system isn't abused either. I've had previous jobs where you were given X sick days a year, use it or lose it and everyone would conveniently be "sick" at the end of the year just to burn those days up. Also get paid days off for a handful of other things (jury duty, death in family, etc). Overall, a pretty good paid time off policy, but sadly, it's the exception and not the norm in the US.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It depends on who, or what I have worked for, as conditions varied widely and wildly from lots to none depending on the employer.

When I was a university teacher, in the 'public', i.e. state recognised universities, I had proper paid vacations, buttressed by legislation, but the salaries were relatively low; when I worked for private colleges as a contracted member of staff, I received no holiday pay, or sick pay, but was very well paid for what hours I worked.

As a civil servant, when I worked as part of the editorial staff in the parliamentary debates office, I had the best part of six paid weeks a year, in addition to public holidays.

My current position offers extremely generous leave - hence I ticked the box 'over 7 weeks'.

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I answered the poll including public holidays.

- 21 holidays
    - 9 public holidays
    - Good Friday which isn't a public holiday

Basically legal minimum + 1 holiday + Good Friday.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No offense or anything, but that font you use is terrible and IMO, reduces the readability of your posts. There's a reason serif fonts aren't used often on the web ;)

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Tastes differ. Personally, I love Garamond and loathe Arial; the former only becomes difficult to read when highlighted by others, the latter is something I never use when I have a choice, an unattractive, straitjacketed, narrow and extraordinarily unimaginative font. If I ever receive anything in Arial, I always change it.

Garamond - in itself - is one of the most legible fonts in existence, and is very easy on the eye, and very attractive on the printed page. Each to his - or her - own.

Admittedly, if I was of a mind to trundle down to the letter 'T', every time I wished to post, I'd probably use 'Times New Roman' instead, which I also rather like, but 'T' is a long way down when I am at days end and I not motivated enough, or patient enough, to wish to do so. I daresay I could set my MR posts to a Times New Roman default, but haven't worked out a way to do so. 'Arno Pro' is another font I rather like.

My own personal writings are invariably in Garamond, Arno Pro, or, Times New Roman.

22. dec. Suspended

dec.

Right now it's hard to tell, I run my partner's consulting office from home which makes the lines between work and fun stuff blur a lot (creating spreadsheets for different projects while having a guitar on my lap, Assassins Creed 4 running on the Win-PC and a dog sitting beside me that wants to be petted). Before that I had 2 weeks in my last job - eeeks. It was quite the shock after the 30 days (and additional holidays) I had in my last job in Germany quite a few years ago... either way I think the legal minimum should be 20 days. Taking those 10 days knowing that it's the only time off for the year is pretty discouraging.

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I get 10 days and must use them up each year. I lost 3 days last year.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

same

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

4 weeks + 10 holidays + sick days that rollover