How much performance increase will i see..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MorphyXXXX, Oct 22, 2011.

1. MorphyXXXX macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm currently on a mid 2009 17" MBP (with 4GB ram and the 2.8 C2D)

Im only using this computer for ableton live which gets really CPU heavy when you chuck in a few vsts and tracks and sometimes (or more or less everytime) even the sound starts to stutter, a lot.

So I heard the i7 quad really is a huge performance boost compared to my computer..

I was thinking of getting the 15" upgraded with 8gb ram and the 7200rpm 500gb.

Any recommendations or just anything to confirm that 250% performance boost?

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

You are moving from a dual core 2.8ghz to a quad core 2.2 qhz (at least). This alone is doubling the CPU's and you will have 6 more threads. This will be a really big improvement in terms of raw CPU power.

Also I highly recommend a SSD.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

3829 vs 9980 is about a 260% difference. I would wait for the spec bump MacBook Pros so you feel the upgrade even more and don't kick yourself for not waiting. If you really want the most out of your investment when it comes to speed, get an SSD too. I also recommend the 1680x1050 hi-res 15" screen since you're coming from a 17".

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

New Macbook Pro processor and GPU options available today, now is the time to buy :)

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

In Logic you won't get near the 250% performance boost, because it just doesn't scale well. 1 core can be stressed to the max while others aren't utilized basically. You got to mess around within your project to even out the cores.

Not sure if Ableton is smarter with multicore systems.