How much space do iBooks take up and movies on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by teege, Mar 31, 2010.

1. teege macrumors member

Movies on my iPod Touch take up ~1-2 gigabyes. Will they take up more on the iPad due to higher resolution?

And how much space will a book take up?

Trying to decide between 16 and 32 gigs...

2. undrpsi macrumors regular

Go big or go home :)

Rule of thumb...

Always buy the biggest memory you can" atleast in a sealed device. Paid the price when I cheaped out an a 4gig 2g iPhone...not 2 months later I upgraded to 8 gig. If the iPad was an 'open' device you should get the lowest rung and then you can upgrade. Since it's 'sealed for now' I would get the largest you can afford. We don't know what the outlay is going to be for books, movies, or iWork documents. In my case I have (depending on subject) 3500-6500 large size raw files. I want to format these for the iPad (I am sure it doesn't need 15 meg raw files) but I don't realistcally know what size they will wind up...so I got the 64 gig. If I find I don't need that much (highly unlikey) I can always sell it and downgrade for a small upcharge....would be underwater too much doing it the other way.

$100.00 to double your memory (16-->32) isn't too bad. My 32 gig SSD that I put into my Dell Hackintosh cost a LOT more than that.

3. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Books will take up a trivial amount of space (we're talking around 5-6 books per song here).

Movies will obviously take up a larger amount of space, especially if you have higher quality, hi-def movies so if movies is your thing, get the biggest you can afford.

4. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

Books should take up very little space. They're basically just text, which is pretty basic info. I would imagine somewhere between 50KB-100KB typically.

5. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

im in the same boat...ordered the 16gb but thinking about returning if i can get my hands on a 32 gb at bestbuy. Im just thinking that I will be downloading much more apps now since the screen is bigger, plus i wanna have room for growth. And you gotta think, its not really 16GB your getting due to the software and stuff that has to be on it. So like you, I am torn....im thinking i will be using the ipad alot more than my macbook....

6. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

Most ebooks are very small. Go download some free ePub books and you'll see that most are well under 1MB.