how much space should I have left on the MBA's 256GB SSD after updating to Maverick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jaranson, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jaranson macrumors member

I just received my MBA. The first thing I'm doing is updating it to OS X Maverick. The download is almost 5.9GB in size.

After it finishes downloading and installing, how much available space is supposed to be available on the 256GB SSD? Will it automatically delete the 5.9GB update files that was downloaded?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The 5.9GB is how much Mavericks takes up. So no, it won't go away. But Mavericks takes up less space than Mountain Lion did, so you'll see some gained space after the install.

3. Jaranson thread starter macrumors member

so once Mavericks is installed, Mountain Lion just gets deleted from the SSD?

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

yess, installer will be deleted.
    you need about 10GB space when install mavericks.
    (5.9Gb is only installer size)

5. Jaranson thread starter macrumors member

There should be tons of space on my 256GB SSD right now, no? I just received it and hasn't done anything except checking emails and putting on the palmguard protector. :)

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, I really would not worry about it like you are. You will have the right amount of space left after the install.

7. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

yes, 256GB it's mean 240GB available and when you installed maverick, you still have 230GB space available

8. Jaranson thread starter macrumors member

since my Macbook Air is brand-new, I just want to get an idea what the baseline is. (the amount user-accessible storage space on the SSD after the Mavericks update)