How much speed gain from Hitachi 7K500 to Momentus XT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hzxu, Dec 31, 2010.

1. hzxu macrumors regular

I am currently using Hitachi 7K500(7200RPM, 500GB) in my MBP 13"(mid 2009), the speed gain is quite a lot compared to the stock 5400RPM 160GB Hitachi HDD, I saw many people recommending Momentus XT, it is 7200RPM with 4GB SSD for frequently used blocks, so I'm wondering is it worth replacing current HDD to Momentus XT? My main uses would be programming(XCode, Eclipse, Netbeans) and VM(Virtualbox), also, Safari for web surfing and iTunes for music, Photoshop. Will the increase in performance noticable in my case?

Thanks a lot!

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

avoid it, as that drive is not fully compatible with Macs, resulting in intermittent freezing. it's due to the drive powering down under it's own built-in power profile when the computer and OS least expect it, instead of following the power profile commands from the OS.

3. ViviUO macrumors 6502

4 months in and I do not have this problem.

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

congratulations?

it's a very well documented problem, although i just read another thread further down in here that a new firmware, SD24, seems to have fixed all of the freezing issues.

5. ViviUO macrumors 6502

thanks?

6. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I installed a new Momentus XT on my Al Macbook a few days ago. It's been working fine. No freezes and has been in heavy use. I did the SD24 firmware upgrade when I first installed it so don't know if it makes a difference.

But as far as it being worth it for the OP, well keep in mind that it gives major speedups for users that are frequently reading from a small amount of drive. Compiling will pick up speed, although what percentage of the time are you coding and debugging (no improvement) compared to compiling? For iTunes, what is the size of the library and are you really disk bound? No improvement at all for Web surfing.