How much thinner can Apple products get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mblank83, Oct 27, 2012.

1. mblank83 macrumors member

It seems like the slogan of just about every recent apple update to their products was "its the thinnest yet"- the new iMacs, iPhones, iPads, MacBooks.

But really how much longer can Apple keep making their products thinner do you think? Soon the iPhone will be as thin as a sheet of paper and they will still be trying to make it thinner.

What is next when you reached the maximum thinness do you guys think will be the next focal point?

2. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

this thin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

There will come a day when you will fold up your phone and keep it in your pocket…

4. Nonono macrumors newbie

Flip phone?

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

No, I meant fold like paper yet extremely thin… maybe as small as a dime. And flip phones aren't exactly thin when closed… at least compared to the 5

6. duneriderltr450, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

I think this will probably be the thinnest they go for the iPhone. Unless they switch to a 2.5mm headphone jack.

7. nharrietha macrumors member

Uhh... Where do you keep your phone now? :confused:

8. darster Suspended

9. rml4uk macrumors member

I think the iPhone is probably near maximum thinness. If you think about how thick the headphone jack and camera module are, you can't really get much thinner (maybe iPod touch thickness but then you have all the cell radio parts to factor in). I think from here on out increasing battery life will be (one of) the main focus.

10. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

theres also a point where too thin becomes uncomfortable to hold. Am I right?

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Thinness will be replaced by a completely different form factor.

12. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

There's no reason why it can't get down to 3-4 mm if Apple would just focus obviously shrink existing chips instead of putting new ones in that can drain more power at maximum speed.

13. HavocLink macrumors newbie

Realistically, the absolute thinnest Apple (or any other company) could ever make their phone is the size of the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unless the standard for headphone jacks somehow changes within the next decade or so. Pretty much everyone listens to music through earbuds/headphones with 3.5mm jacks.

14. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

There already exists thinner headphone jacks in common use.

15. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

How about making it thicker and giving me usable battery life? 3 mm thicker could add over 50% more battery life. 3mm would make no difference in my life.

I suspect thin is no longer in. We are as thin as we can get.

The next generation of iPhone will be all about battery life. And a thicker device. Mark my words!

16. Caliber26, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Do be shocked if they remove the headphone jack altogether! At the rate they're going (ie: eliminating optical drives), they'll just persuade us into embracing Bluetooth and for those who are still "stuck in the past" and want to use wired headphones, they'll offer a $45 3.5mm adapter that'll plug into the Lightning port.

Schiller himself said: "This is the new connector for many years to come."

So I predict that the next few versions will peak at the thickness of the Lightning port itself.

17. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I don't care about thin. I'll gladly sacrifice thinness in order for a larger battery.

18. xA4Hx macrumors member

I think they could make a magnet connector for headphones no jack needed and then create a adapter money be made off it. Just my idea

19. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Hope one day iPhones will be as thin as the one Tony Stark used in the Iron Man movie. But that also means no more lightning connector. Maybe 2030?

20. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Yeah the 2.5 mm headphone jacks right? Besides the size, can the 2.5mm headphones do everything that the 3.5mm ones can do (inclusion of mic without lack of power, maintenance of sound quality even with less power?) (Or do the 2.5mm not even have less power lol)

21. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Once maximum thinness is reached, Apple will go the opposite way and work on making the thickest iPhone yet.

22. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You know there is some hype to that right.

This is not the first time Apple says "as thin as a pencil" They said that more than a few years ago about another product.

U look at a the new iMac and it looks REAL thin right [oh-ahh the crowd goes] but did you notice when Schiller turn it around and see that big bulge in the middle? Thin edges but not thin all around.

Apple doesn't make the thinnest phone, otherwise Schiller would had say "the World's thinnest phone!"

Look at a WSJ's review of the new Microsoft Surface vs iPad side-by-side, they are the same thickness, yet when you look at a Surface alone, you swear it looks much thicker than an iPad. Apple fools you by designing a edge that makes the iPad look thinner than they are.

23. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I'd love that

24. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I wish apple would concentrate a little less on thinner and lighter and put some time in updating iOS.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Schiller did indeed say "the world's thinnest smartphone" at the beginning of keynote but they seemed to have corrected themselves/retracted that claim by the time the keynote was over.

At least the iPhone is sold all over the world, unlike the thinner phone that's sold only in China. So much for being the world's thinnest.