How much trouble did you go to get your new Macbook Pro ? The Saga continues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james tuttle, Dec 5, 2008.

1. james tuttle macrumors newbie

How much trouble did you go to get your new Macbook Pro ?

Thinking of buying any apple product in the USA on line or by phone forget it if you're not a US resident. I was on a recent trip to California to 10/10/08 to 23/10/08, I wanted to buy a new MBP whilst on my trip to tie in with the new release and to save nearly $800 by buying it out of the UK

So this is my Saga, visited an apple store, sorry sir the MBP you want can be only purchased on line, thus I go on line only to find I cannot buy anything without having an American billing address for my credit card. What is all that about money is money global down turn and all that? Next I try to call apple to order it over the phone, same problem as on line !

The only way around this I was told was to buy an apple gift voucher from an apple store for the sum of the new MPR, thus the next day I went back to another apple store and brought a voucher, called apple and ordered the new MBP which I was told could be delivered before I left the US happy days ;-)

A day later a received an email to say there is a problem with the apple credit and please call apple, I call apple and because they have made a screw up and not processed my order the new MBP now cannot be delivered in time ;-(

Now the saga begins, I have to cancel my order as it cannot be delivered on time I then have to return to the apple store and try and get the apple voucher re credited back to my credit card. I spend 3 hours in store and on the phone to try and sort it out.

It turns out the apple store had charged my credit card twice a total of over $7000 !!!!! They have agreed to refund every thing and have apologized, but its now taken over a month and I have incurred charges on my card I have been promised that they will offer me some kind of good will gesture I am still waiting.

In the end I brought a new MBP in the UK. But what a pain to buy a new MBP.

So the new MBP arrived and I am so disappointed as it took so long to arrive and I am now going to have to send it back according to the genius bar its faulty. It keeps crashing freezes up or shuts its self down it also keep getting the odd white / black line flash across the screen.

Replacement arrived two weeks later less than 4 hrs old and is now going back as the fire wire 800 port does not work.

Agggggggggggggg

2. allanibanez macrumors regular

The biggest trouble i had when i ordered my mbp was getting the bloody ipod touch i also picked up out of its godam plastic box!

apart from that, nothing has falled off, not worked, generally epxloded yet.

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

It was a pretty straightforward process for me. My Compaq laptop died that morning, I had 3 hours to kill between lectures that day, I was walking by an Apple store, the new MBPs had just arrived to the store the day before, and 5 mins after a swipe of a credit card I was unboxing it in one of the study rooms at my university...

4. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

That sounds rough. What kind of MBP were you trying to buy at the Apple Store? I always go with their stock configurations and then after the warranty expires I change hd's and ram.

5. james tuttle thread starter macrumors newbie

2.8 ghz, 4 gig Ram, 350 Gig HD MBP

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I've been through countless hours of phone interrogation with Apple reps who wished to blame me for damaging my machine while in their care for service. Good thing I took dated pictures before and while opening the returned product ;)
    Been through 2 replacements so far because they just can't figure out how to be easy with someone else's property.
    Just got my new unibody 3 weeks ago, it's amazing so far.

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Surely you must mean 320? Hdds don't come in 350gb. And Apple only offers CTO drives of up to 320

8. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Sorry you had such a hard time.
    I drove 8 miles to my local Apple Store and was out with my glassbookpro in 5 minutes. :)

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Dude, you haven't seen nothin' compared to the problems I've had.
    Here's the Coles Notes version.

1) ordered MBP in Canada before moving to Australia
    2) MBP arrives late after my flight due to a) Apple putting a hold on my order for no known reason and not informing me about it and b) the flight from China on UPS was cancelled.
    3) return MBP, get refund and reorder from Australia since Apple won't pay to ship it here. Fair enough.
    4) I don't want an Australian MBP as I will be returning to Canada and am assured I can order a N. American model as long as I call Canada to place the order
    5) Find out I was given wrong advice and (as you found out) Apple will only deliver the product to the country it was ordered from
    6) Bite the bullet and order the Australian MBP
    7) MBP arrives...only NOT...I open the package only to find its full of sheets of cardboard and styrofoam. WTF - I've been jacked!
    The theft either occurred in China w/ Apple or the shipping company or here in Australia w/ the courier (TNT).
    8) Apple reacts quickly and orders a replacement
    9) MBP arrives, everything looks great
    10) ....only NOT...after 1 week of use something goes wonky. The MBP goes into deep sleep after sitting idle...as it should, but won't wake up no matter what I do. I have to do a hard reboot.
    11) Now I've got grahics glitches, wtf
    12) Spend time on the phone w/ AppleCare and we can't find a solution. Now I can return it, be w/o a computer for maybe weeks and receive a new one...or I can get this almost perfect beauty looked at at the Apple Store
    13) Genius decides I need a new logic board and should only take 3 days or so but they have to order the part
    14) 2 weeks later, I receive no phone call but discover its been fixed and ready for pickup (online).
    15) Off to the Apple Store to pick it up and wow the graphics issue is still there, only its WORSE!
    16) After much time on the phone w/ AppleCare & the Genius' there its agreed I can keep the old computer (if I give them my credit card info) while a replacement is ordered (which should have been done in the first place when it was determined it was the logic board). There's no way I'm going to be w/o a computer for another 2+ wks after all this.
    17) Get home only to notice that the left fan doesn't work, the backlit keyboard doesn't light up, there's a noise now in the headphone jack, there's a noise coming out of the remaining right fan that works, there's a nick in the side...all this on top of the fact the original problem wasn't even fixed! What kind of tech could miss all this? A very very bad one thats who.
    18) My replacement MBP has been ordered but not yet shipped.

...the saga continues - indeed.

I have to say, throughout all my troubles here Apple's customer service has been A+ fantastic! They have treated me very well & been respectful & understanding throughout. Of course, I've treated them well & respectful as well. I have not once gotten mad or lost my cool. Things happen & I understand that.

In the end, OP...both you & I would have gone through a helluva lot less pain & anguish if we had just purchased STOCK machines from the Apple Store and then upgraded it as need be. The 2.8 isn't necessarily worth it anyways but nice if you want it....point is, I went for the 2.53 model but was all this grief worth the 320gb 7200rpm HDD I ordered? If I could go back I would have just purchased it from a 3rd party and installed it myself.

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Heh, yeah, that's the better way. Buy a stock machine and buy less expensive 3rd party parts afterward :)

11. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I walked in to the Apple store, told them what I wanted, payed, was handed what I wanted, walked out, and I've used it ever since.

12. tom burns macrumors member

I 'm on my 9th MBP...
    And I 've noticed a slight screen flickering when I wake it up from display sleep.
    I don't know what to do...

13. FCDP macrumors regular

On number two right now. First one had a serious keyboard defect (not that non-issue 1mm key slant people seem to complain about). Got it swapped before I even left the store. Haven't had any issues since with number 2.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Damn you!!!!! My troubles with three MBPs just seem insignificant......I think you got the 2008 award for worst MBP order.

Competition closed everyone....move along we have a winner by KO....

15. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I thought you had no problems for some reason after reading some of your reply's on here?
    Anyway I agree, I have been well behaved and not gone mad or anything, my second one is being picked up tomorrow and the replacement apparently will be here on Friday or Monday! When I called the Apple Care, I said it has 2 or 3 dead pixels and that I was thinking about a refund, they said fine, didn't question it and asked what I wanted to do. So I umed and ard and said a send me another one, I was going to hold out till next year.
    Then he put me on hold and came back and said they would extend the returns period until the 8th of January! Fantastic, I umed and ard some more but decided not to take the offer as knowing my luck I would drop the thing before then LOL.
    Anyway I agree Apple Care have been fantastic, haven't questioned me once. And I have ordered the exact same machine as you too.
    So Asus have no quality control what so ever, but Apple's Apple care is fantastic!

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I suppose I spoke to soon. ;) No I've had problems alright...this machine I did receive seemed to be perfect; free from defects until the graphics started acting up. Then the tech decide to add some glitches of his own to put the icing on the cake.