How much vibration is to much vibration on a new 17" unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hopsdaballa04, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

I just received a new 17" Unibody with 7200 hard drive and I notice that it vibrates enough to annoy me when I have it on a table and in my lap. So does anyone else have a vibration problem? I assume that apple will just say that it's normal operation..

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

is it the hdd that is making the computer vibrate. and if its enough to move the computer around while its on a tabletop then yea that is way to much vibration no matter whats making it do that.

3. simonpickard macrumors regular

I have a 17" new unibody with the 320GB 7200 and get no vibration. I get a little bit (hardly anything though) when I place a DVD into the super drive but nothing at all from the Hard disk.

I have to press my ear almost to the keyboard to hear it also.

Regards,
    Simon

4. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

5. Hopsdaballa04 thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't move on the table and it doesn't vibrate the table the only thing that vibrates is the hard drive. Or at least I think thats what it is.

My wife has a unibody macbook that doesnt vibrate so I took her HDD out and put it in my 17" unibody and the 17" unibody still vibrated.

I also tried by taking out the drive completely to try to isolate if its the HDD's or the fans. When I did this the vibration disappeared. So I'm pretty confused about all of it...

The only thing I could think is that for some reason the little rubber holders are not dissipating vibration's that great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im sorry if this post is confusing...

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

also if its vibrating enough for you to notice it it may be a fan loose.

7. zorahk macrumors 6502

7200rpm drives tend to vibrate much more, though.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

true but i dont think it would be so much that he would notice

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

Staying with true Apple tradition. I think you should purchase the add on "iShock Absorber" kit for $299. Apple assures you it will fix any vibration problems you may encounter.:p

Sorry just hit me as Apple will probably say it's not their fault and blame you in the end lol.

Just one of those nights :)

10. Hopsdaballa04 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree that's probably what they will say.

11. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

If you bought it within 14-days, take it back if they don't want to fix it.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have 2x 5400RPM hard drives in my 17 inch unibody and there's a bit of vibration

13. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

How and why do you have this?

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

replace the superdrive with a hard drive.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ive done this too, very useful if you need a lot of hard drive space, and simple to do. but getting back on topic, get your machine exchanged, this isnt normal, my machine with a 2 x 7200rpm 320GB doesn't have this issue, its most likely a broken hard drive over spinning, or touching the outer case somewhere.

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea i agree. take it in and hav them take a look. or if your handy do it yourself.

17. Hopsdaballa04 thread starter macrumors regular

I did take the macbook pro in and had a apple service provider look at it. He agrees that it is alot of vibration. He went ahead and ordered the black plastic rubber pieces that hold the hard drive in place. I suspect that this will not fix the problem and I wish it does tho... Wish me luck.. If it doesn't work then I will try to get a replacement machine through apple...

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. 2advance macrumors newbie

Seagate 7200.4 500gb unibody 15"

I recently upgraded the 250gb on my 15" to a seagate 7200.4 and am experiencing much more vibration too - my speck case seems to help absorb some of it but it is noticeable. If anyone has any ideas on how to remove this please reply.:confused:

21. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Try putting toilet paper, multiple layers of the stuff, or other thin soft material underneath the hard drive. Not kidding.

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

And do NOT buy it directly from Apple, since they charge $27.95 per roll. But it sure comes in a cool box!

23. johnpaul macrumors newbie

i'm having the same problem with my new 17" UMBP. I'm getting slight vibration coming from the hard disk. I've replaced the hard disk with a new one but the vibration is still there.

Anyone here experiencing the same problem?

24. johnpaul macrumors newbie

hi there, how did this go? will replacing the black plastic rubber fixes vibration issue? I own a 15" UMBP and never had this issue

25. Hopsdaballa04 thread starter macrumors regular

They replaced the rubber bracket, this did not help at all. I them send me a new 17". The vibration on the new machine was alot worse. It was actually vibrating through the display also. So they are sending me another 17" which I will get on Monday, I will report back if there is still vibrations.

If there is still vibration I guess I will invest in a SSD which sucks because I don't want to spend an extra 300-700 dollars making the macbook act the way it should.