How much Will I have to pay for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, Sep 6, 2012.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I'm starting a two year contract and want to know how much I will have to put onto my debit card to make sure I have enough to preorder the phone. If I remember correctly last year when I pre ordered the 4s they didn't charge me for my activation fee it was just on my next bill. Is this correct or should I include the activation fee into how much I will have to come up with? And does anyone know the around the price it will will be? Because I don't want to put let's say $210 onto my debit card and not have enough and be SOL.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

So assume the phone will be $200, you then need to cover the tax, figure that out based on your state. You may also want to call whichever carrier you are starting with and asking them what kind of fee's you will have to pay because knowing big carriers they will have all sorts of interesting fees. From there it will be a pretty straight forward plan.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you were somebody close to me that I cared about, the answer would be totally different than what is being asked.

My answer would be : " it appears you should NOT be buying a new iphone. Maybe a 4, but surely not a new one. Get your finances in order first."

But, you did not ask that.

5. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

He said the iPhone 5... not the data and plans. So basically the cheapest model will cost $649.99 + tax

6. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

If you're signing a new contract, the phone will most likely start out at $199 for the 16gb, $299 for 32gb and $399 for 64gb. That is not including sales tax.

7. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I'm 18 and have job and I'm in school so all is well here. I started a two year last year but will buying this contract out. I just can't recall how much over $200 it was. I know how much the plans and everything are.

8. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Here's some perspective for you:

Bought the 4S at launch, eligible for something in May 2013.

Opened a ghost line in April of last year and I'll be paying $449 at launch.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Don't forget paying a deposit depending on your credit history or lack thereof.

10. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I'm on my dads account and will be staying on his account. I know I have to pay for the buy out. I'm wondering about how much the iPhone with tax would be around if I'm buying at $200. I have everything else figured out.

11. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

What is the sales tax in your state? Take $199 and factor in your sales tax and thats your answer.

12. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Upgrade and activation fees come on your bill.

All you'll pay for is the phone, AppleCare+ if you get it, and tax.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Your debit card is tied to your checking account or is it one of those cards that you add cash on? If its tied to your checking/savings account and you don't carry enough to pay for an iPhone maybe a good financial move would be to sit this one out. Not judging just suggesting.

To answer your question I'd put at least $300 to cover taxes and the like.

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

After reading this I'm kinda glad it's so much simpler in the Uk.

Here you pay a handset cost if you opt for a lower monthly cost per month on contract or for free on a higher contract.

Also someone with a fresh or bad credit rating are sometimes required to pay a small upfront fee.

Personally I prefer pay as you go which means the phone is my property outright, no monthly contract I am obliged to pay for 18/24 months.

My payg cost per month is on par with most monthly contracts in respect to what's in the bundle, and if for some reason I can't pay the money on the anniversary date then I won't get fee's from the network or bank or loss of service due to being cut off. When I top up I simply get the bundle back and a new monthly anniversary date.

Obviously the downside is I've paid the whole unsubsidised cost of the handset but I can live with that !

15. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Not sure where your located but here in California I paid $199.99 + $50 tax. For the 16gb. Just make sure you have $300 to be 100% safe.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus