Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Trying to figure out if I should wait or buy one and resell when the new one comes out. I just paid my phone bill so I have a month to three weeks before I pick one up. I know resale value is good for iphones. For those who sold their 5's how much did you get? Would and apple unlocked get more than a Tmobile specific one?

Tallguy93

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Trying to figure out if I should wait or buy one and resell when the new one comes out. I just paid my phone bill so I have a month to three weeks before I pick one up. I know resale value is good for iphones. For those who sold their 5's how much did you get? Would and apple unlocked get more than a Tmobile specific one?

Sold my 32Gb sprint model for 450 recently. The T-Mobilemodel is certainly worth more than that

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sold my 32Gb sprint model for 450 recently. The T-Mobilemodel is certainly worth more than that

I don't know if it is b.c you are on sprint, but I sold an att iphone 5 16gb for $550 about a month and a half ago. I would imagine the t-mobile version would sell just as good as unlocked.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
I don't know if it is b.c you are on sprint, but I sold an att iphone 5 16gb for $550 about a month and a half ago. I would imagine the t-mobile version would sell just as good as unlocked.

GSM iPhones (ATT and now T Mobile) always sell higher than Sprint iPhones.

Since the price of the iphone usually drops by $100 when a new model comes out, guessing resell for a used will be $ 100-200 less than that...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
GSM iPhones (ATT and now T Mobile) always sell higher than Sprint iPhones.

Since the price of the iphone usually drops by $100 when a new model comes out, guessing resell for a used will be $ 100-200 less than that...

That is a pretty big difference though considering he has a 32gb. I could see $100 if it was just GSM vs CDMA in the same storage size.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
i'd say just wait for the 5S.

with all 4 major carriers carrying the IP5 now, i see resell values dropping abit.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It will probably resell for around the same price as the AT&T model since they will essentially be the exact same phone and easily unlocked.

Being unlocked wont boost the value of the phone as much as it used to though since in the past the biggest reason for people wanting unlocked iPhones was so that they could use them on Tmobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.