How much would I miss out on the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kylera, Oct 2, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

There's a phone shop here doing a sale on brand-new 4S models which would let me get one almost for free, now that the 5 will be released here. How much would I miss out in terms of user experience?

I don't really intend to play heavy games (Street Fighter 4 and Galaxy on Fire are about the heaviest games I play) and I just want the ability to check maps and do spot checks on Word documents on the go, as well as emailing.

The vendor says that the phones are still on iOS 5 as well.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It will do you pretty damn good especially for your requirements.

And you say you want the maps so I also recommend keeping it on iOS 5. We all know the deal with the Apple maps. ;)

3. cutienoua macrumors member

depends how much $200 means to you
    if you swing this amount easy than go for 5

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I personally would suggest that you just spend some money, if possible, & just get the iPhone 5 instead. In my humble opinion, the iPhone 5 is just way better than the iPhone 4S.

Good luck. :)

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

Personally couldnt go back to the 4S, the 5 is better in every way.

Especially after experiencing LTE. Battery life is also way better. Big screen is awesome.

5 is way better.

6. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Thanks for your advice so far, though I realize I should add the monthly bills as well.

The way the contracts here work is that after the carriers provide the subsidy, the remainder is divided into 24 months, and additional discounts are made based on how much you spend for the monthly bill and customers choose "packages" of data allocation, minutes and sms that start at around $40 per month, and go up in tens.

Starting at 50 per month, the discount is enough that the price of the 4S is completely covered, and I get unlimited 3G data.

On the other hand, assuming that the 5 will retain the same prices like previous models, I would have to pay 50 + 18ish + 10 percent tax per month.

Would the additional cash be worth the upgrade?

7. doc shivers macrumors member

just shell out the extra $200, the difference between the 4s and the 5 is night and day.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

After finding the two iPhone 5's I've had, lacking in a variety of areas, I have returned to using my 4S.

After owning every iPhone since day one, the 4S running iOS 5.x.x is clearly the best thus far.

That said it's all a matter of personal preference.

I just couldn't put up with the marginal durability & easily scratched exterior. After all this is Apple we're talking about.

If this were Android, the iDevotees would be bringing down the house with hate posts.

9. southfrisco macrumors member

Maybe for you but not so for everyone. If LTE is something the OP wants then yes spring for the 5. But if that isn't a big deal and a 4 inch screen isn't something you want then the 4S is plenty fast with the retina display and almost the same back camera as the 5 (if you use your smartphone camera).

Also the front and back glass (regardless of fragility) of the 4S looks and feels really good against the hand. If you have lots of 30 pin accessories and you don't want to add a $30 adapter to the cost of the 5 go for the 4S. It is the best smartphone I have ever owned.

Three reasons I upgraded...

1. LTE is available where I am.
    2. 16:9 4 inch screen to watch movies/tv shows when I travel. I am on the road five to six months out of the year and don't own a tablet so this was a bullet point for me.
    3. My upgrade was available when the five was released.

If this update didn't have a larger screen or LTE I would have passed and kept the 4S, personally.