iPad How much would you pay Apple to be able to install OS X on Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeCBR, Dec 9, 2014.

1. MikeCBR macrumors member

Just wondering if you guys would pay for it. Basically just purchase it through the App Store and it would install. You could then switch from iOS to OS X with a swipe gesture. Is this worth petitioning if many would gladly pay for it? Would it be worth apple's time?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me, I'd not pay for it. The day may come when both operating systems converge, but I think right now, I'm happy with iOS on my iPAd.

I see little advantage of running OS X on my iPad, so you would have to count me out on one who would be willing to pay extra for that as an option.

3. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

How much would YOU pay for it?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not see OSX on any iPad soon, not even the elusive iPad Pro next year.

Microsoft has struggled with the surface units and I have tried them all but even the latest Surface Pro 3, fully loaded, does not run my Quickbooks Pro well.

Desktop operating systems are also not touch screen friendly:apple:

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Why do we have to pay them? I wouldn't pay them anything extra. I'd rather continue to VNC into my Mac instead.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Don't think I want full OS X, it'd be easier to just add a few key features to iOS for the iPad (i.e. finally optimize the OS for the iPad) which would increase productivity and usefulness of the device for many people.

7. urda Suspended

urda

Unless OS X is suddenly designed around ARM (which I don't see happening) or iPads start shipping with x86-64 chips (which I definitely don't see happening)...

Well, this isn't going to happen ;)

8. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

OSX is more optimized then windows. Having full Yosemite running on an iPad with (MacBook Air specs) would be a perfect tablet and competitor to Microsoft. I payed $3,000 for MacBook Pro W/Retina so I would pay top dollar for an OSX iPad.

9. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I would pay for a SMOOTH, POLISHED version of iOS for my iPhone/iPad first. Then I'd pay for a smoother, more polished version of OS X on my MacBook Pro. iOS and OS X should remain separate. Before Apple runs off trying to put OS X on iPad, that need to fix the native OSes of the iPad/Mac.

So to answer the question, I'd not pay anything for OS X on the iPad.

10. OCICILIONI macrumors member

The main feature I wish I could take from OS X and put into IOS would be the ability to use a mouse or track pad. Especially when I use the IPad to connect to my server from a VPN, it would be most helpful to have this feature for more precise control over things such as drag a drop and right clicking. I would be willing to pay for a third party app for such versatility.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

$0. I have no desire for it at all. iOS does what I want a tablet for pretty much perfectly.

12. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

What's the point? It's not like the hardware is there for me to run Final Cut etc on an iPad. Maybe if there was, it would make sense. Until then, it's a waste.

15. MikeCBR thread starter macrumors member

How much would you pay Apple to be able to install OS X on Air 2?

Do you use a Bluetooth keyboard? If you do OS X on the air 2 it basically turns it into a MacBook Air. But the ability to switch to iOS on the fly makes it the best of both worlds...a OS X productivity beast and a iOS mobile social / media consumption device. This would make the MacBook Air obsolete. And with MacBook Air sales declining and tablets like the air 2 having that huge leap over the Air 1 in cpu performance(i5 desktop performance at that)a Mac OS X tablet which switches to iOS with a simple gesture is the future.

----------

With the air 2 performance equivalent to an i5 it could run final cut. With the much slower iPad Air 1 you would be right, but the air 2 is as good as an i5.

16. Nee412 macrumors 6502

An iPad doesn't need OSX to become a capable computer, it just needs some iOS versions of certain OSX apps.

With the way the A-series chips are going, eventually Final Cut Pro iOS will be a possibility. Maybe even within the next few years. After seeing what Pixelmator has managed, I wouldn't be surprised by a full iOS version of Photoshop before long.

I wouldn't pay Apple anything to simply put OSX on an iPad. I would pay Apple anything between £600 to £1000 for an iPad with a version of iOS that takes full advantage of the iPad's capabilities.

17. Spicedham macrumors regular

Making iOS into an OS with more productivity features is the best solution. OSX is made to navigate with a cursor. The windows, icons, and boxes won't work well with touch. That's the problem with Windows 8. Using touch input on the desktop is annoying and frustrating.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

OS X isn't intended for iDevices use.

19. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Might as well ask how much people would pay for a ride on a unicorn. Just as likely to happen.

(I'd pay at least $20 for the unicorn ride!)

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Why would I want an os designed for mouse and keyboard on a touchscreen device that has neither of the above?

21. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would just come up with a built-in way to remote to a Mac on an iPad or iPhone. They could adjust the resolution for either screen, so my iMac's screen isn't tiny on my iPad like with LogMeIn and teamviewer.

Also, mouse support for the RDP session would be nice, too.

22. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Big bucks!!! I would loooove it! Bring OSX to iPad!.

23. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

24. sonicrobby, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

For an OsX purchase through the App Store? I'd pay up to 200 for it. For a new tablet with the same specs as the current ipad? I'd probably pay 900ish. Though if it ran OS X, I would much prefer it have at least 4 GB of ram. Hell, throw in a 256GB storage option and I would pay the price of a 13" rMBP

Don't understand all of these comments, it's a hypothetical question, just answer it. No one says it's happening, so why are you all getting up in arms about criticizing it?

25. code137 macrumors newbie

Not sure what OSX would be like on an Air 2, so probably not a lot. A different device though? Having a Surface Pro 3, I can say I'd love the equivalent from apple. If apple put something out around 12 inches, retina, similar specs to the Surface, with a detachable keyboard that would run OSX with the keyboard, iOS without, I think I'd easily be willing to pay closer to 2k no problem.