How much would you spend for a rMBP out of warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sonicrobby, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sonicrobby, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im looking at the top model of the 15" rMBP (2.7Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 768SSD).
    The thing has been out of warranty since August, so renewal is no longer an option. He claims it is a Samsung screen, but Im not sure if I want to take the risk on a laptop this expensive out of warranty.

He is asking $2500. Im just not sure if its worth the risk. Opinions? ease my thoughts?

Update: Just ordered a 2012 15" rMBP 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, and 768GB SSD with applecare until Sept. 2015 all for $2400. No original box though and seems in pretty good condition cosmetically.

Do you guys think it was a good deal that I took?

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Too much, especially without warranty. You could probably find the same machine with warranty for less. Pass.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Compare the specs and price to what you can find on the Apple Refurb Store in the same generation. Refurb machines come with a full warranty with the option to extend to 3 years, the exact same option you get in the brick and mortar Apple Store.

Ignore the Samsung screen issue for now while you pursue that. If you decide it's worth the purchase, it's real easy to check if it's a Samsung screen (Google for the terminal command). Alternatively, only agree to make the exchange at an Apple Store and conditional on a successful diagnostic at the Genius Bar.

5. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Thanks guys, yeah Im browsing around eBay and craiglist looking for alternatives. I think I will pass on the offer since the refurb with the warranty is about $2600.

But its tough finding a used model for less than refurb; because they spent over 3k on their machine, they arent willing to let it go for less than refurb. Ebay has some for 2400, but they are uk models (UK keyboards) and I really rather not have that one :X

I guess I will float around ebay for something. $2100-$2300 is my target range, does that seem unreasonable for a higher end model? (mainly looking for the 16GB RAM, and 768SSD - Im fine with either processor.)

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Check out store.apple.com, look for refurbished MBPs. $2069 with 512GB SSD and full warranty. They may be unwilling to sell for less than refurbished, but that's not your problem and not a reason to pay that much.

7. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Thanks, yeah I checked out refurb, around $2600 for the model I want (currently have a rMBP with 8GB RAM and 512GB, Im looking to upgrade to the 16GB RAM and 768GBSSD).

8. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Just ordered a 2012 15" rMBP 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, and 768GB SSD with applecare until Sept. 2015 all for $2400. [no original box though]

Do you guys think it was a good deal that I took?

9. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

That seems fair. I've got my 2013 15" rMBP (2.7, 16GB, 512SSD) up for sale locally and priced at $2200 ($2400 w/AppleCare), so that's not too bad for a larger SSD and one notch down on the CPU scale.

The box is always nice to have, but in the end I only want it for resale most of the time.

Congrats!