how my Watch kept my car from eating my phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by artfossil, Oct 7, 2015.

1. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Context: artist, professor, distracted, clumsy, ADD. Too few, too small pockets (damn women's clothing).

Arrived at class at 8:15 AM and noticed no phone (new 6S). I KNEW I shouldn't have put it into the too small vest pocket.

My watch showed it was disconnected from the phone so I went to retrace my steps back to my car. And there was the phone, lying on the asphalt under the back of my car. As I was opening the hatchback and getting my way-too-heavy messenger bag out, the phone had fallen out of my pocket and I hadn't heard it drop.

Fortunately, I have the new minimal Otter Box case on it (Symmetry Series in white) (no screen protection) and the phone was unscathed.

I did anticipate several falls on concrete (floors of my studio and classroom) and asphalt but didn't expect them to start so soon . . .

But most of all I was so happy that no one stole my phone and I didn't back my car over it.

I love my Watch. I loved it before this:

Next appointment on the face!
    Timer on the face!
    Notifications!
    Can check baseball score during faculty meetings!
    Shopping list!
    Stand reminders!
    Control my playlist songs and volume for my bluetooth headphones!
    Pay for pop from the vending machine!
    Can keep my phone safely in my bag . . . .

But now I love it even more.

2. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Glad your phone is not damaged... but I'm a bit confused by your story/thread title. Sounds more like you should be in love with your Otter case than anything. Did the 'Disconnected' icon clue you in to the missing phone? Did pinging help you locate it?

3. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Yeah, I was thinking the OP was going to mention Pinging helped locate the missing phone.

4. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

The empty pocket was the first clue. But the disconnected icon confirmed that I hadn't just put the phone somewhere else. And yeah, I couldn't ping the phone because my Watch showed it was out of range (already knew that because my pocket was empty . . .). But I could start walking until the phone reconnected it -- so I knew I'd lost it on campus, not in my own driveway.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard