How necessary is Magsafe 2 on the Retina and Air, really?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 0x100, Dec 5, 2015.

1. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

Why did Apple go from magsafe 1 to magsafe 2? A magsafe 1 hole is roughly the same size as a USB port and the magsafe 1 plug fits perfectly with room to spare even in a usb port. This means they could make the computer thinner and the plug smaller without loosing compatibility with older adapters. Because, the pros and airs still have their usb type A ports, so there is no need for the hole to get thinner.

So why the switch if it is not for thinness? To make money of selling new adapters and converters?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

0x100 has a point that I noticed several months ago, when I was trying to plug my MacBook Pro in one night. The MagSafe (1) connector will fit within the confines of the USB 3 port. The MacBook Pro with Retina Display and MacBook Air both have USB 3 ports, therefore a MagSafe (1) port would have still worked. Speaking of which, the first MacBook Air with today's unibody design had a MagSafe (1) port and not today's MagSafe 2 port.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't see how a MagSafe 1 port would have fit, given the photo to which I linked. Remember, that there is more to a port than just the outside as well. There are internal components and materials that require space.

5. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

I'll give you that, but at least on the surface, the MagSafe (1) connector should fit. All it really is is a magnetic block surrounding the actual connections, that can be trimmed down to meet the internal space limitations.

6. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

The magsafe 1 original port would not have fit, but a mechanically compatible port would have see in as how the actual magsafe connector fits in a usb port, just as jamescharley22 says.

Looking at the internals of the ports, pcbs and such, the difference is really small and there is nothing the new port does to decrease size inside the machine.

Macbook pro 13" 2009: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/4U6FOVHCT4JwTMvX
    Macbook pro 13" retina 2012: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/FaT5LiABHROoMpqB

The retinas magsafe PCB even looks bigger than the unibody one. Even so, a trimmed port the size of a usb port would have fit none the less.

7. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

Totally right, the macbook air even had room for magsafe 1! http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/media/75/7528.jpg

8. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

One thing we have to take into account though is the fact that MacBook Air was tapered and the lid is a lot thinner than the MacBook Pro lid. The MacBook pro lid was thicker and didn't have the taper therefore leaving less vertical space for ports.

9. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

Since Air still has USB type A ports, there still is enough room fort a port that fits the Magsafe 1 cable!

10. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Isn't it obvious? How else would Apple have gotten us to spend $10 each on adapters to use our old MagSafe Power Adapters. :p
    0-adapter.jpg

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Or you can just use the power cord with magsafe 2 that came with your computer, why they did it is neither here nor there they did it, it happened 3 or more years ago, get over it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had to buy it, because my ACD is the old magsafe adapter and of course my MBP uses the new one

13. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

Maybe someone has a power adapter for every place they are at, so they won't have to bring a power adapter with them all the time. One for work, one for home and one for the summer/winter house. It is a shame really, that Magsafe 1 that would fit in the retina and the airs don't work, forcing these people to buy new adapters and converters. Apples margins on these converters are probably 10x, seeing as how that piece of metal is probably under the dollar.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And that is business, they could have just released the new computers with the new magsafe with no adapter and made you buy all new power cables for everywhere you want them. Whatever their reasons for changing (and despite your amatuer assessment they probably had very good reasons) apple also made a cheap alternative to having to buy new power cords for everywhere you need them, I don't see how that is worthy of complaint it should be praised.

As I also said this happened 3 years ago, get over it.