How NOT to put the MBP to Sleep when closing the Lid

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manapple, Mar 23, 2011.

1. manapple macrumors member

Okay, so how do I ensure that the MBP is still running and continuing operations even when I put down the lid of the computer. This is important, cause my work involves downloading large files all day, and I leave the comp on and I dont want the screen to gather dust as the lid is open. Then everyday it gets dusty.

thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

InsomniaX

You may find your machine may run hotter when doing this.

3. svkrzn macrumors regular

4. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Attaching an external display allows it be used with the lid closed, so I'd assume temperatures won't raise that much?

5. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

how will it overheat? the MBP intakes and exhausts through the back.

6. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Attaching an external display allows it be used with the lid closed, so I'd assume temperatures won't rise that much?

7. Appeltje macrumors newbie

Is it dangerous for the screen, because of the heat?

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I think it isn't a great thing for the screen; things do warm up quite a bit in clamshell mode.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The air venting is located in the rear, near the hinge. Apple notebooks are designed to operate in clamshell mode, with the lid closed. There is no airflow through the keyboard. It also doesn't hurt the screen at all.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is true. I have my MBP in clamshell right now at the office and it's been that way for several months. I use it everyday and there is nothing wrong with it all.

11. svkrzn macrumors regular

Good to know! I read different from other sources. So i guess other sources were wrong.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow. The fans, intake and exhaust are all located near the hinge, close to the primary furnaces, the CPU and GPU. This basic layout is essentially the same for all Apple notebooks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. svkrzn macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation GGJstudios. This site is where i got the wrong info:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9373772
    and here:
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/15/how-...lid-closed-and-hooked-to-an-external-monitor/
    Some people say the heat dissipates through the speakers and keyboard.. Plus with insomniax if you close the lid the screen remains enabled generating more heat. THat's different if you use your MBP in clamshell mode without insomniax because if you close the lid the screen turns off.

14. GGJstudios, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat radiates through the keyboard just like it does through the solid base, but neither is used for heat venting. All venting that is required to keep the notebook cool is located at the rear, near the hinge. I'm sure you know by now that not everyone who posts in a forum knows what they're talking about.

The display of the MBP generates no measurable heat, so running with the display on and the lid closed still won't create a problem.

The OSXDaily article is simply false. (I've posted a comment on that site, correcting the misstatement) If a laptop stand were required for cooling in clamshell mode, Apple would specify that in their instructions. They don't. Apple isn't going to publish instructions on how to do something that would cause harm to a computer that they would have to replace under warranty.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display