General How obsolete is the 5.1.1 and 5.0.1 jailbreak becoming?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aPple nErd, Aug 11, 2013.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I mean, the more i think about it, downgrading to 5.1.1 is only gonna last for 6 months or so untill 5.1.1 is obsolete. Alot of apps are 6.0 or 6.1 now, and im wondering if i should bite the bullet and just upgrade everything to ios 7 when its out. So my question is: is ios 5.1.1 really becoming obsolete, and how long will it still be usable?

2. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Personally I NEVER upgrade from my current jailbroken iOS to the newest major iOS until there is a jailbreak available for it. That's why I always make sure to be on the latest jailbreakable iOS (currently 6.1.2) when apple releases a minor update to patch the current jailbreak. Then I keep that on my device until the next major iOS released to the public is jailbroken. That downtime between upgrades is becoming longer and longer but its definitely the way to go if you prefer a jailbroken device over stock.

For support to my argument, just look at all the posts of people who were once jailbroken, then restored to stock and how mad they are they removed the jailbreak.

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Oh, i most certanly wont upgrade to ios 6 ever again on a 5.1.1 device. Especially jailbroken. I skipped ios 6 on my ipad 3, and kept it on 5.1.1 because of the stable jailbreak for it. But the device i am buying to use for a jailbreak device is a cdma iphone 4 witch i would run 5.1, 5.1.1, and 6.x.x on. As well as ios 7 betas. But i am buying one on 5.1.1 and will dump the blobs.

4. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I hear what you're saying but I think you missed my point. You asked if you should bite the bullet and upgrade everything to iOS 7. My suggestion was to keep everything on a jailbroken iOS, whatever the latest is that you can jailbreak for said devices. Missing out on some software because your iOS isn't supported is easier to cope with than having a stock device if you love being jailbroken.

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Well, i also really cant stand the look of ios 7. I like the classic ios look. So i will use pre ios 7 for as long as possible, and ios 5.1.1 especially. But i guess i will update when i absolutely HAVE TO.

6. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I've heard other people complain about the look of iOS 7 as well so I don't think you're alone in that camp. Honestly, I've only seen a few screenshots. I haven't played with it nor have I seen it in person. Ill wait until its jailbroken and installed on my phone before I proclaim it doesn't look as good as iOS6. Pictures are one thing but animations and the UI/UX can really change one's perception. Personally, I love change even if its as drastic as the colorful and flat iOS 7. In the end, I'm just a huge fan of having the latest software of almost everything because of the feature updates that are usually packaged into the update.

Either way I'm excited about the upcoming iOS and new iPhone. Ill be upgrading this fall when the new iPhone comes out so I'm almost guaranteed to be stock for quite a while as we wait for the next jailbreak to come out.

Have you had a chance to install iOS 7 on your device? What don't you like about it? Just the bright colors and flat look?

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I don't think your argument for staying on 5.1.1 is valid.

The evasi0n JB is just as stable as absinthe2.

It is indeed better to be on the latest JB-able firmware to ensure app-support.

Mos of us will upgrade to iOS 7 when a JB comes out, regardless of it's looks.

Apple has commited itself to the new style. Those who don't like it and stay on 6.x or 5.x will be left behind and will find that app-support will be lost very quickly.

8. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

How obsolete is the 5.1.1 and 5.0.1 jailbreak becoming?

Stuck with old apps and a less versatile iOS, all because of the presumtion that absinthe is more stable.

Old apps will work on 5.x but new apps might not, limiting the usefulness of your device

10. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Ya, i know and i will probably get a new ipad in less than 2 years anyway.

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

2 years!?????

2 years ago we were on ip4, we are now 3 generations further....

12. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I said ipad. And i own the iphone 5 and iphone 4, but i just bought my ipad 3 this march.