How often did/will you drop your iPhone 6/Plus in a year span?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfoxpro, Oct 8, 2014.

1. macfoxpro, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

macfoxpro macrumors 6502

I dropped my iPhones a lot...I guess. Maybe 3-5 times for each model. How often have you dropped yours, and will you pay more attention now that you have a 6/Plus?

Merely a hypothetical based on your history of dropping iPhones. Will the 6 Plus drops be as common as the iPhones of the past or will you take extra precaution?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. macfoxpro thread starter macrumors 6502

lol. Oh ****, not me..not yet.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Haha I dropped it withen 24 hours of it being on sale :eek:

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Out of my previous two iPhones, I have only had each dropped once; and both times it was because of someone else. Once had my 3GS fall to the ground off an armchair after someone knocked it off. Then had my 4S knocked to the ground by someone waving their arm while I was using it while standing. Both came off fine as the 3GS had an OtterBox Commuter and the 4S had a Mophie battery case.

Haven't dropped the 6 Plus yet, and I don't intend to.

6. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

7. Shadowbech, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Shadowbech macrumors 601

Zero. Out of all the phone I have owned in the past. I have yet to drop it. I have never dropped my phone it my life. When I'm outside it always stays in my pocket and never gets out unless I am in a safe place.

8. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

9. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Well, hopefully zero.

Kind of a weird prediction. :confused:

10. businezguy macrumors 6502

I dropped my iPhone 6 three times in the first year I had it ( the larger screen was great assistance in my successful time travels).

11. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Dropped it once! The headphone cable got caught on something while I was walking and ripped it out of my pocket. Thankfully, only a minor ding on the top:eek:

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Same here but no dings thankfully.

13. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

So far once but it was inside a case so still pristine. My 5 and 5s, I couldn't remember how many times I've dropped those on hard concrete (usually while getting out of the car). The Speck Candyshell has kept them safe. :eek:

14. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I dropped my phone three times so far.

1. Headphone cable pulled it off my desk. (survived)
    2. Getting into the car, hit my own leg with a corner of the phone, and it did a belly flop on it's screen. (with case, still shattered)
    3. Taking a picture of a car part under the hood, I dropped it into the engine compartment, but caught it quickly. It didn't tumble, just landed on it's side.

So I declare the iPhone 6 Plus, a drop hazard. I find my self making adjustments to my routine to minimize dropping, but it's still not enough. It's a slippery thing.

15. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

First thing comes to mind is "zero" but for a device I use often everyday there's always a wild chance so I'll go with "1-2 times in a year span".

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I hope I never drop mine. However, with my 5, I dropped it twice in the course of 2 years. I've had 3 different iPads and take them all over the place and have never dropped one.

I do have the Apple silicone case on my Plus as well as Apple care. This time around, I'm not using a screen protector.

I do find that I tend to be more careful with the Plus - not sure if because it's new or due to the size it has a different feel.

17. Gmcube macrumors regular

I could probably count on one hand how many times I've dropped the two iphones I've had since the 3G. Most of the time its just a a few feet on soft carpet or a few inches on my desk. Don't have the 6 yet but we'll see how well I do. I'm kinda worried it'll be more slippery with the rounded edges.

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

19. accountforit macrumors 6502a

20. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iPhone 4 at least once a month, or at least 50 times in its entire lifespan of four years. The worst drop was when I was drinking at a high table and I flung it off where it landed about 3m away.

It developed a hardware malfunction where the power button kept getting triggered even though the physical button wasn't depressed. As a result the iPhone screen kept turning on and off by itself, and at times the phone could even switch itself off or power itself up. Miraculously though the phone somehow managed to fix itself after a month and the issue never came back.

Seeing as how the iPhone 6 is harder to grip firmly due to its size, and it's also smoother around the sides, I'm guessing I'll probably drop it more often :(

21. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I've dropped my iPhones prob 6 times in the last few years (even on concrete) and been super lucky.
    Never had anything more than a minor scuff and a tiny tiny microscopic chip int the corner of the glass.

22. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Hopefully none but historically once or twice.

23. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I've been lucky over the years to not really drop my iPhones. Typically they are in some form of case though so they have some protection, typically minimum. I purchased the 6+ this year and have gone through the following cases.

Spigen Thin Fit Metal Slate (returned)
    Spigen Thin Fit Smooth Black (kept for slim/sleek case for when needed)
    Spigen Slim Armor (returned, very nice case but no holster option)
    Bodyglove Satin (still have as an alternative option)
    A black candy shell with holster (returned, didn't like the fit of the case on the phone while in the holster

last but not least, the Unicorn Beetle PRO Series w/holster (kept this one and use it daily as my primary case.

It is maybe one step down from an Otterbox but fits very nicely. Meets my day to day needs for some moderate protection against bending, bumps, scratches, drops, etc... and has a holster for when I run (yes I run with this thing). I did cut the plastic screen protector out since it made it harder to type on the screen and dust and crap kept getting under it through the Home Button hole. I just put on a screen protector earlier from iCarez which you can barely tell it is there. It doesn't cover the curved edges of the phone but where the glass starts to curve, the case meets up with it so there is only a very small open space between the screen protector and the case where there is nothing covering the glass. We are talking about 1-2 mm gap.

Am I worried about dropping it, not at this time.

24. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I am planning to drop it approximately zero times within the next year.

25. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Just make sure not to have a baby for now :)