Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I am holding out for the next DP of Mavericks (and it's really hard to hold myself back)... how often does Apple usually take to go from DP1 to DP2?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I am holding out for the next DP of Mavericks (and it's really hard to hold myself back)... how often does Apple usually take to go from DP1 to DP2?

I don't think they really have a set schedule, that being said probably anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month between builds.

IMO there is no reason to hold back from this build unless you've already tried it and experienced problems. I have 0 everyday usability issues and I've been using it as a main OS since the day it was released. If you have an app that you need to use that you know doesn't work I suggest you just hold out until that's updated or use Mavericks as a secondary OS.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think they really have a set schedule, that being said probably anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month between builds.

IMO there is no reason to hold back from this build unless you've already tried it and experienced problems. I have 0 everyday usability issues and I've been using it as a main OS since the day it was released. If you have an app that you need to use that you know doesn't work I suggest you just hold out until that's updated or use Mavericks as a secondary OS.

Well the general consensus seems to be that Safari isn't super reliable, and 90% of what I use my computer (the one I'd be installing it on) is Safari, lol

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Safari has been stable for me. Report any bugs you find.

I'm just reading everyone's bug lists and it just seems to be more than I'm willing to deal with, which is why I was thinking of just waiting to DP2

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'm just reading everyone's bug lists and it just seems to be more than I'm willing to deal with, which is why I was thinking of just waiting to DP2

The funny thing about bugs is not everyone encounters them. Don't let that stop you from installing. That being said, the next version should be out soon if they stick to past schedules, so it might be smart to wait.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
The funny thing about bugs is not everyone encounters them. Don't let that stop you from installing. That being said, the next version should be out soon if they stick to past schedules, so it might be smart to wait.

That's true... I will eagerly await the next release :)

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Well the general consensus seems to be that Safari isn't super reliable, and 90% of what I use my computer (the one I'd be installing it on) is Safari, lol

Oh okay, that makes sense. I use Chrome so I haven't even used Safari aside from a hand full of times I started it to take some screen shots to post on these forums. :cool:

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005

Absolutely do let it stop you from installing. New features can be fun and tempting, but if you're not here to report bugs, putting developer previews on daily drivers is a bad idea.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Unless I read the OP is not a developer I give them the benifit of the doubt.

Most the people who are reading MR forums and downloading and installing DP1 are not developers much less developers legitimately participating in apples dev program. If you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Hopefully sooner than later.

I hope they take their time. Actually I would be quite happy to wait another whole year if Apple had decided to stop every year updates.

But, so long as Mavericks gets the shutdown, sleep slowness reduced by half that will be worth it alone. They still have 3 months or so to fix it, don't care so long as they fix it by GM, all I ask really, UI changes are in progress basically clean up the titlebar and windows which they started on. Sidebar color I guess I can wait till next year along with Siri.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Unless I read the OP is not a developer I give them the benifit of the doubt.

You have your default position; I have mine. MR is not a developer forum, and this is not a trial. The simple fact is most people who want to try out 10.9 probably shouldn't until it's finished, and have precious little to gain from it.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Most the people who are reading MR forums and downloading and installing DP1 are not developers much less developers legitimately participating in apples dev program. If you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.

Over on the iOS7 thread there is a poll, I don't know where it stands but last years poll was close to a 50/50 split. I think the results would be the same on the OS X side. You can usually tell by the post if the poster is a developer or not. Your post did not give me any hints. It was a generic question, so I don't think I'm fooling myself, but if you're not a developer so be it.

----------

You have your default position; I have mine. MR is not a developer forum, and this is not a trial. The simple fact is most people who want to try out 10.9 probably shouldn't until it's finished, and have precious little to gain from it.

I agree unless you are a developer you don't need to be running it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Over on the iOS7 thread there is a poll, I don't know where it stands but last years poll was close to a 50/50 split. I think the results would be the same on the OS X side. You can usually tell by the post if the poster is a developer or not. Your post did not give me any hints. It was a generic question, so I don't think I'm fooling myself, but if you're not a developer so be it.

----------

I agree unless you are a developer you don't need to be running it.

Yeah and I bet if you did a poll "do you use installous?" In the iOS jailbreak forum I bet most wod say no too. *rolling eyes*

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So are you saying people would lie in a poll? What's the point?

Yeah. And I don't know what the point is. Same reason whenever I sell things on CL I get every doctor and lawyer and engineer responding to my computer ad I'm selling. Lol. Because the same people who claim to be developers complain about features and bugs in 10.9 post in other forums saying nobody should have to pay for software updates. Just doesn't jive.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah. And I don't know what the point is. Same reason whenever I sell things on CL I get every doctor and lawyer and engineer responding to my computer ad I'm selling. Lol. Because the same people who claim to be developers complain about features and bugs in 10.9 post in other forums saying nobody should have to pay for software updates. Just doesn't jive.

ok, now I understand. Either way like I said wait until DP2 to install. I don't care how you got it ;)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
ok, now I understand. Either way like I said wait until DP2 to install. I don't care how you got it ;)

A family member works in an Apple store. They opened the beta up to all of their retail monkeys. LOL. I think they realize that 20,000 eyes (or however many apple retail employees there are out there) will find bugs faster and more of them in everyday use.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
A family member works in an Apple store. They opened the beta up to all of their retail monkeys. LOL. I think they realize that 20,000 eyes (or however many apple retail employees there are out there) will find bugs faster and more of them in everyday use.

I read that as well. They are starting that earlier than they did with ML as I remember. As long as they report the bugs things will be good.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I read that as well. They are starting that earlier than they did with ML as I remember. As long as they report the bugs things will be good.

Yeah, I think the idea is good. Developers are going to report issues with their software and how it interacts with the OS, but retail employees are end users, so they're going to report bugs they find when doing every day tasks. So I think the mix allows apple to more quickly discover these issues. Windows used to always release public betas of their products for the same reason... 10 million eyes are better than 5000 :)

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Keep in mind, 10.9 is not even in Beta yet!!! It's just a developer preview!

Beta 1 will come soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.